Sci-fi: Cylon Raider re-issue (beaucoup piccies!)

Started by noxioux, January 21, 2009, 07:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxioux

Here's my recently completed cylon raider.  I wanted this one to be sort of in the same vein as my earlier Colonial Viper here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21697.0/highlight,rode+hard.html.  This is sort of a "Scar" version of the old raider.  I also opened up the mysteriously absent weapons bays in the wings.  I've seen many, many references to those bays, and seen about nil.  It is missing weapons for the bays, but that may be upcoming.

Here's the pics:

Sorry for the bandwidth hogging!

cthulhu77

Very nice !  I still love how they used parts of a Tiger tank kit on the original mold...ingenious !  Your weathering is perfect, and it really looks the part.   :wub:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Looks very good - nice weathering and damage!  :thumbsup:

Now there's a question: what colour did the Cylon crew's underwear turn when that beam flashed across the windscreen? Come to think of it, do Cylons actually have underwear? (No need to answer that one, particularly not with pictures...) :blink:

I bought this kit on the original issue, and I must admit, I thought the tank wheels just stuck onto flat surfaces were a bit crass.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

BlackOps

Very nice! I've been meaning to pick one of these up, your build makes me want to grab one even more!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

cthulhu77

Quote from: Weaver on January 22, 2009, 04:08:15 AM
Looks very good - nice weathering and damage!  :thumbsup:

Now there's a question: what colour did the Cylon crew's underwear turn when that beam flashed across the windscreen? Come to think of it, do Cylons actually have underwear? (No need to answer that one, particularly not with pictures...) :blink:

I bought this kit on the original issue, and I must admit, I thought the tank wheels just stuck onto flat surfaces were a bit crass.

Well, the  department had something around a week to put those things together, so they raided a local hobby store, and just added stuff onto the smooth dishes. I think there are tamiya tiger wheels, panther tracks, and parts from a patton on the original kit.

Rafael

Great one!!!

Sure makes a perfect pair with the ZELL viper!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Sauragnmon

I see parts from Battlefleet Gothic added for detail parts, Nox.  There's a gun barrel from a tank in there, if you guys look, cut into the side.  Underside wing root.  Yeah they have such... interesting detail parts added to us bits-spotters.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

I like spotting kit parts on sci-fi models. I've got some pictures of Martin Bower's models for Outland, and there are rows and rows of truck chassis "troughs" stuck end-to-end along one part, and right next to them a row of three shuttle telescopes.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

noxioux

Thanks fellas!  The tank tracks are cleverly hidden inside the grooves on the underbelly, and between the roots of the engines on top.  I thought the tank wheels were a bit lame at first, but what the heck--it just goes with the territory.

I want to do a couple more of these, just for the heck of it.  But still nagging in the back of my mind is that little voice saying, "Studio scale Galactica. . . Studio scale Galactica. . ."

:cheers:

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: noxioux on January 23, 2009, 05:32:00 PM

But still nagging in the back of my mind is that little voice saying, "Studio scale Galactica. . . Studio scale Galactica. . ."

This may not be news to you but, if you haven't seen it yet, you will definitely enjoy.

http://www.cloudster.com/sets&vehicles/Galactica/CrevelingGalactica/GalacticaCreveling.htm
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

noxioux

Yeah, that's one I go back to and look at every once in awhile.  But when I think about the time and money he has into the thing, I get the shakes. :blink:

Someday!