Black Scarab Fighter type III

Started by puddingwrestler, January 20, 2009, 06:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Okay, I've finally decided to pull out the ol' aModel GeeBee kit and do something with it! It is going to become the Black Scarab Fighter type III from the Scarlett Sloth universe. This is the third model of Black Scarab fighter - the type I, a tiny parasite fighter with no provision for landing was carried by the original Black Scarab AeroFortress. The imporved Type II (fitted with landing skids for emergency use, more power and enclosed cockpit to prevent any inflight be-heading attacks) was a parasite fighter on the second AeroFrotress. This version, the Type III was intorduced to give the Black Scarab Gang more fire power by allowing a larger design with out the comporomses of a parasite fighter. It has it's own floats, and is larger than the very restricted space allowed in the AeroFortress hanger bays. It's also more streamlined and fitted with a fully enclosed cockpit. As always, it's a biplane, and terribly stumpy looking.

As to the model - there is no way I am even attempting the bewildering mess of struts and teeny-tiny parts which makes up the aModel cockpit. I have begun to fabricate a more solide cockpit using plasticard and spare parts. I'm also in the process of building the upper wing. Also decided the supplied engine looks fairly poor, so I am using some spare p-47 engines (I have three of that kit, so plenty o' parts!) So far I've only spent an hour on the machine, so there is really nothing to show just yet. Keep your shirts on, there will be some pics soon.

Colour scheme will be the traditional black and silver of the Black Scarab Gang.

A note on nomenclature: THe Black Scarab is the leader of the Black Scarab gang (until Alberto, wonder boy aviator chopped him up with the propellor of the Scarlett Arrow, and he was replaced by his daughter, the Black Scarabess) - just to further confuse things, all members of the gang are refered to as Scarabs, while thier infamoous AeroFortress is called The Black Scarab. Thier fighters are called Black Scarab Fighters, and just about everything else invovled with the gang is called 'Black Scarab Something'. This has led to a great deal of confusion, and most fans simply agree the authors where A: lazy, and B: Bastards.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

puddingwrestler

Okay, here are some preliminary pics:
First, the ubiquitous sticky-tape mockup:

Engine and cockpit. Seat from Academy Typhoon, engine from the engine fronts of a pair of Academy P-47s

Instaled cockpit. Since this pic I have added an instrumetn panel, also from the Typhoon, a perfect fit!

Float. This is one of the first things I have carved from balsa.

Roughly how to float will attach to the plane.

I have to make the other float of course and then play with the spats until I get them to attach tot he floats how I want them. I'll also be adding some cannon barrels, and blending the upper wing into the fuselage. There will be minor strut work, but no wires. I can't be bothered fiddling around with rigging. Should have the fusealge halfs glued together later on tonight, just need to do some painting on the 'pit.

puddingwrestler

Since my last post, I've glued the two fuselage halves together - not as easy as it sounds, what with aModels decision to go wihtout locator pins. Still, lined up better than the only other aModel kit I've ever played with, so can't complain too much, can I?
Here's the stealth cockpit. You can't see any of the details, but I assure you, there is an instrument panel in there!

I carved into the upper fuselage to allow the upper wing to be recessed into it smoothly. Also drilled some holes in the engine cowling for the twin cannons.

And then went ahead and glued everything else on. Fabricated a second float, covered both in putty and sanded them smooth.

And here, just so you can get an idea of how insanely small this plane is, a picture of it with my Sovietize it GB entry!

Taiidantomcat

Saw this in the Sovietize it GB, I really like the bi plane concept, along with the floats --smart thinking  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

Like this one - the stubby shape is perfect for a cartoon character's plane!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

puddingwrestler

Started painting this evening. Tamiya silver leaf spray, a little masking, and citadel chaos black painted on with a brush. I'll be weathering and detailing tommorow.

Note bomb, curtesy of Hobbyboss Spitfire.

Logan Hartke

puddingwrestler

That'd be where the idea comes from.

Ed S

Looking good.  I like that short stubby design.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Daryl J.

puddingwrestler

Well, the Black Scarab Type III Fighter is now complete -although the weathering makes limited difference!

This was a very quick build -actually taking place while I waited for paint and glue to dry on the Komorov Kom-3, however it has lead to somethign which I am sure will overjoy many of you - I've decided I really should finish the original Black Scarab Aerofortress! Also thinking I should have a go at the Scarlett Arrow - The Scarlett Sloth's fighter.

Taiidantomcat

its Cute  ;D Really though, excellent job!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Brian da Basher

Excellent work, PW! Looks natural with the second wing added and the way you attached the floats really makes them look like they belong! The gun barrels are icing on the cake!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

JayBee

WOW!

Thank you PW, 1/ For showing us a fantastic model, & 2/ giving me ideas about what to do with my A model kit.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

JoeP

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.