Sovietskaya Germania - Soviet Germany, or Sovietized Tirpitz

Started by Sauragnmon, January 19, 2009, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

In the twilight of WW2, the Germans made a desperate bid to slow the attacks of the Russians.  Protecting their heavy warships as much as they could, they managed to preserve the Tirpitz.  The Queen of the North almost fell prey to a sabotage attack, a shallow-water submarine wound up caught on the netting.  An aircraft attack was thwarted by bad weather, a second attempt being silenced by the anti-aircraft fire from Tirpitz itself.  Tirpitz continued into the late war, when she joined the rest of the heavy combatants of the Kriegsmarine, serving in the baltic.  Tirpitz's guns went silent with the Armistice, and Tirpitz surrendered to the Soviets, rather than the Allies.  A suiting fate, as the Decadent West used their largest captured pieces for nuclear test targets.  In Soviet Russia, the Tirpitz was moved down the Baltic to Leningrad Shipyards, where she was refitted with Russian secondary armaments to standardize the operations with the rest of the fleet.  The Soviets were aching for a heavy combatant, and when refitted, the Tirpitz, crowned Sovietskaya Germania, or Soviet Germany, in the conventions of the Soviet Navy's use for Soviet themes for battleships.  Sovietskaya Germania would serve with the Baltic fleet at the start, but would move in the 70's to the North Fleet.  In the 80's she was moved again, serving in the Pacific Fleet, where she was again refitted with a new electronics suite, including Kite Screech radars, AK-230 CIWS, AK-130 secondary guns, Helicopter facilities, and surface to air missile systems.  The pinnacle upgrade was the consideration for eight Bazalt missiles.  The wood decking was stripped off, replaced with standard antiskid decking for traction on the decking.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

nev

Now this idea I like!  Tirpitz festooned with all those big ole SSMs the Ruskies were so fond of should look awesome.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Sauragnmon

Yup, 1/700 Trumpy Tirpitz, with four twin tubes (ideally) from a Trumpy Slava, plus Pit-road AK-130 turrets, SA-N-7 launchers, CIWS.  I'm going to stretch out the catapult area and turn it into two helipads on the sides, potentially with overhang off the sides for better landing space.  I'm not 100% sure how well things are going to interface or what adjustments I'll make, but it should look interesting.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Geoff

Sounds good!
I did the Blucher as a 1950s update with "Telos like" SAM launcers in the X and Y positions, with the directors on the aft superstucture, and air survelance radar on the aft mast for the Fatherland build a few years ago. Never finished the paint job though.

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Sauragnmon

I was planning this whif for a while, the Sovietize it GB just kicked it into full swing really.

Taiidantomcat

Brilliant! and you should do a Sovietized Nimitz-class like you mentioned think of the massive green deck  :blink:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

Big flight green deck, Soviet CIWS mountings, Sovietized Tomcats beside Flankers, ski jump on the bow, Soviet island...

Just not sure a Nimitz though... they cost a LOT.  I'll look at low cost options and consider it eventually.  Carriers and me don't mix much.

dy031101

That photo of Yak-38s makes me want to say...... a Sovietized Odin?

Yak-38 jets, Ka-25/27 choppers, 9K33M/SA-N-4 launchers, scores of AK-630 CIWSs......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Joe C-P

Quote from: dy031101 on January 22, 2009, 08:39:07 AM
That photo of Yak-38s makes me want to say...... a Sovietized Odin?

Yak-38 jets, Ka-25/27 choppers, 9K33M/SA-N-4 launchers, scores of AK-630 CIWSs......

Ooo, a whiffed whif!  :drink:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

Damnit, make me buy another Bismarck just to bash that one senseless too.  I won't do that for the GB though, I'll put that on the list marked "Soon™"  I already have an Odin-style build on the shelf, the Fenris, with 2x3x28cm turrets, earmarked for 110T's, 109T's and such.  I carved a chunk of a Testors Kuznetsov's flight deck off to build the flight deck for the Fenris.  I haven't done a lot of work on it lately though.  If I can get the inspiration, I might pick that one up after this insanity is done.

One of these days...

dy031101

Quote from: Sauragnmon on January 22, 2009, 12:50:41 PM
I already have an Odin-style build on the shelf, the Fenris, with 2x3x28cm turrets, earmarked for 110T's, 109T's and such.  I carved a chunk of a Testors Kuznetsov's flight deck off to build the flight deck for the Fenris.

Do you have a picture of the work in progress?  :wacko:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Sauragnmon

I have one in my thread, but I haven't snapped one since I bolted the flight deck into place - I used one of the turrets to hold it in place behind the bridge tower.  I'm going to clip and transom the stern, and finish cutting the angles on the flight deck - I'm running it with a Y-style flight line to either side of the main bridge.  It's based off the A IIa concept the Germans had for the aircraft-battleships - when I first read it, I realized "hey, that's the size of a Bismarck!" and then went onto it.