Entry #1: MIG-26 "Klinger-B" (Sovietised F-16)

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 18, 2009, 01:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Comrades,

i have now started preperations for improving the puny american F-16 for use by our glorious union.
modifications planned are a more robust and chuky landinggear, a downgraded analog cockpit, a sovietised wing...

i was planning to make it into a ground attack aircraft, but deu to shortage of soviet weapons, im gonna build it into an aircraft for use by our proud demonstration team "The Swifts"  ;D

the model i will be using is a mastercraft 1/72 F-16A with soviet decals from the spares box  :mellow:

here a profile of out MIG-26 and the planned markings

ZA RODINA
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

ChernayaAkula

Loved this one ever since seeing the profiles for the first time!  :wub: Looks great on both the Fulcrum and the "Klinger".
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Spey_Phantom

Comrades

work has now begun on the new MIG-26 for mighty soviet air force  :mellow:
for those who have seen the mastercraft kit, the most horrible part is the outlet, witch maked the model look more like failed F-16 with J79 engine.

by using soviet enginering capabilities, i have come up with a new engine for the Klinger.
this engine (build from F-1 and F-15 spares) includes TVC in order to be more agile then its puny western design.
also, work has begun on defencive armament, witch will be 2 AA-8 Aphid air-to-air missiles.
but since the swifts will be flying this plane, they will most likely be dummies.

pics:

1. the missiles
2. the engines, left: the stock engine from the mastercraft kit, right: the new engine  :mellow:

more progress pics will be posted once progres has been made.

ZA RODINA

Восток красно время рок-н-ролл
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

sovietisation has progressed even further now.

i decided to add some additional sovietised parts  :thumbsup:

picture 1: an overall view of the building of the MIG-26
the wingtip rails have been canted downwards in the style of the SU-27 tiprails, these also act as a counterweight allong with the dummy Aphids. on the forward cockpit, im looking to mount an IRST dome.

picture 2: a view of the klingers tailsection, its basicly a stock F-16 tail, but with a soviet build antenna on top.

picture 3: the most obvious change is the sovietised tailfins, the capitalist pigs mounted such small tailplanes, in soviet russia, tailplanes are bigger, hence the reason i have scratchbuild a pair to replace them, in the same style as our very usefull MIG-29's  :thumbsup:

the "Klinger" will surely be one to "Kling" on to  ;D

Товарищ Нилс настолько пьян, у него нет идеи, что он делает  :drink:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

Looks good, Nils.  I might have an example of aircraft similar to this Eventually myself.  I'm looking to get an F-16, but I'll be bolting an AL-31 in the engine bay, considering they ARE the same size - the F-16's have used F-110 engines, which replaced TF-30's, and I've used AL-31's in place of TF-30's on my Super Alicat.

I also have an F-15 Somewhere in the works, and thoughts of an F/A-18E being Sovietized have come around.

I'll make all the USAF/USN's finest planes just a little more beautiful with some Tough Russian Love!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Spey_Phantom

OK, cockpits fitted in, and as like with all russian planes, the cockpit is painted in glorious blue  ;D
screens are drawn on with CD Markers, the larger buttons are painted on.

now the cockpit is done, now its time to start the full assembly  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

BlackOps

Nils, love the tip of the tail! Some nice mods going on here.  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Spey_Phantom

UPDATE

main fuselage construction was completed last night, afterwards the white paint was applied on the top, allong with the blue on the tails.
this morning the spine was taped off and painted black. also last night the nosecone was painted with a black trim, but im gonna paint it dark grey as it looks to american in the style of the YF-16.

also (but not visible) is the undercarriage blister, to accomodate the larger front landing wheels.

after the paint is dry, i will start taping off the lines for the wings.
one thing about the mastercraft kit is that the intake is a nightmare, not only with the fitting, bt its also placed to far forward, but its a cheap kit ideal for sovietisation.

the canoppu has also been sovietised, replacing the one piece front with the old classic style (simply repainted)

i also ran into a snagg with the blue paint, 12 hours after painting, took it in my hands and the paint still wasnt dry. so i had to repaint the tail, hopefully now it dries faster.
as soon is its dry i will also start on the bottom, particulary the landing gear.
for decals i have leftovers from up to 3 1/144 MIG-29 kits, is i want to cover the whole plane im gonna need to use all of them.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Sauragnmon

looking good, comrade Nils!  A credit to the Rodina!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

pyro-manic

This is going to look great when it's finished! :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Spey_Phantom

UPDATE:

no pics yet, but i hope to post some tonight or tomorrow.

she's almost finished, the ruggedised landing gear and doors are fitted, all that is needed is paint the doors white and slap on the decals. one thing i must say, she looks great.

expect some pics maybe tonight, comrades  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on February 07, 2009, 10:50:56 AM
Thats hot

yes indeed, she's hot, and im not talking about the model  ;D
but one downer, Paris is as dumb as a marble in a tin can.

ON TOPIC.

Comrades, today is a glorious day, our Swifts demonstration team will once again show the west how we can inmensly improve they're weak designs, the famous Mikoyan design bureau has obtained the blueprints of there counterparts most advanced fighter. by adding some specially made parts made by our glorious workforce, the F-16 is now far more capable, and to show that it is now part of soviet air power, she has been renamed MIG-26, but the decadent west calls it the "klinger".

we hope you can all make it to moskou to see our demonstration team in action.

ZA RODINA  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.