F4U Float plane

Started by Ed S, January 17, 2009, 06:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Here's where I'm going.  An old Matchbox F4U-4 and floats.  I'm still thinking about colors and markings.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ed S

I've made some pretty good progress on this one.  The basic kit assembled quickly with little problem.  But it's old Matchbox and the panel lines were too heavy so you can see where they have been filled in with putty.  The floats are installed.  The central float came from an old He-115 and the wingtip floats from an old HU-16 Albatross.
The support strut for the center float was carved from .200 thick plastic.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Tojo633

Ed

Have a look at this thread, created the side view with "Paint" main float is from a CV Kingfisher extended in height to allow for prop clearance. Have it started so suppose I need to get my finger out, but have used a float from a USN Seahawk extended. Strangely enough it is a matchbox Corsair also, cheap and chearfull as they say.  I was going to do mine in USMC or Navy post war racer scheme keeping to the original theme.

In Events category:-
Topic:An idea for Perth 2007.
Topic:Perth 2008 Schneider Trophy theme

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17945.0.html

Cheers
Sandy

Brian da Basher

A Corsair on floats! Brilliant!

I'm really looking forward to your next update, Ed!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. If you really want to mess with 'em, finish it in Japanese, Korean, Chinese or Thai markings.

kitnut617

I'm liking the look of this Ed  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ed S

Construction is finished on this one.  It's now ready for the paint shop.  I don't expect to be able to get primer on it until the weekend.  Here are a couple shots as it sits now.  About the only noticiable change from the last update is the weapons pylons have been glued to the wings. 

Ed

Weaver

Hey that's a good idea Ed - the inverted gull wings make sense for the same reason they do with wheels... :thumbsup:

It's a pity the fuselage isn't the same colour as the wings, otherwise you could just leave it as it is and call it "The Flying Blueprint".... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

Quote from: Weaver on February 04, 2009, 01:11:53 AM
Hey that's a good idea Ed - the inverted gull wings make sense for the same reason they do with wheels... :thumbsup:
Uh? Sorry I don't understand... I would have understood if this would have been a twin-float, with decreased height of float-links, but for a single-float model, where is the technical logic? (I don't mean I require logic, I prefer what-if dreams, but maybe there is something logical that I have not seen on this wondeful model, strongly enriching the Corsair family).
Thanks.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Zeke

What a neat idea!...me likee!
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

Weaver

Quote from: Tophe on February 11, 2009, 08:06:37 PM
Quote from: Weaver on February 04, 2009, 01:11:53 AM
Uh? Sorry I don't understand... I would have understood if this would have been a twin-float, with decreased height of float-links, but for a single-float model, where is the technical logic? (I don't mean I require logic, I prefer what-if dreams, but maybe there is something logical that I have not seen on this wondeful model, strongly enriching the Corsair family).
Thanks.

What I mean is that, even though the outer wing has dihedral, the attachment points of the tip-floats are still probably nearer the water than they would be with a straight wing (which would also have dihedral). Of course, that rather depends on how much dihedral a non-gulled Corsair would actually have.........
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

Now I have understood, thanks! And more congratulations to Ed again... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

cthulhu77

Very nice floatplane, a sort of "american rufe" .

Ed S

Well, I managed to get a coat of primer on this one.  Hopefully tomorrow, I can get a color coat on it.

Ed

PanzerWulff

HEH Pre-Primer it sort of looks like a flying blueprint Hmmmmm I'll have to remember that idea Lookin good though  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Dork the kit slayer

Im liking this.................now get yer finger out and finish it,Im on tenter hooks.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/