De Havilland "Sand Fly" - Finished!

Started by pyro-manic, January 17, 2009, 06:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

This will be a modified De Havilland Mosquito, combatting Yemeni insurgents out of RAF Khormaskar (Aden) in the early 1960s (hence the nickname "Sand Fly"). Middle East Air Force colours, with rockets and bombs under the wings, and lots of nose guns for strafing Communist convoys. Might give it modified props (off a B-26K), and possibly a new canopy, if I can find a suitable donor.

Trying to get the bloody wings on this Airfix NF.XIX model at the moment... :banghead: The undercarriage is going to be a pain as well - covered in flash and bent. >:(
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

pyro-manic

OK, I have the airframe together, the new props are fitted, and I'm busy filling gaps. Here's how she looks so far:

Still have to find some appropriate weapons to go under the wings, and I'm undecided about whether to stick with the original nose .303s and quad-20mm under the chin, or go for a couple of ADENs or even Bofors 40mm...

rallymodeller

That's the spirit!

Both weapon choices sound reasonable, but my choice (were I in RAF R&D at the time) would be to go for ADENs. They would have been relatively easy to come by since the RAF was taking them out of Lightnings at the time (IIRC). However, I would stick the ADENs in the underfuselage gondola and put quad-fifties in the nose. That was a pretty standard COIN mix at the time.

BTW, love the clipped props!
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

pyro-manic

Thanks, rally! I thought the clipped props looked pretty sharp. :thumbsup: I think I will go for a couple of ADENs - a slight bulge under the fairing, fill in the other two ports, and I'll rustle up some tubing from somewhere for the new barrels. Likewise for the .50s. :)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Nothing apart from tip-tanks says CoIn quite as loudly as cropped prop blades  :thumbsup: - How about 4 x .50cal for the nose instead of the weedy .303's and the usual 4 x 20mm.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

I like the idea of ADENs, could pack a wallop.  Is early sixites a touch too soon for SNEB rocket pods?  If so some Hispano SURA R80 rockets might look the part.  How about swapping the canopy for something a little less 'framey', maybe a canopy from a Venom two seater would work?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

ADENs all the way!  :thumbsup: According to Jane's, SNEB full-scale production began in 1955, so they'd be a "Go!" as well + look cool!

How about a fighter-style canopy? Worked for the Canberra, might as well work for the Mossie!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Mossie on January 26, 2009, 08:06:22 AM
How about swapping the canopy for something a little less 'framey', maybe a canopy from a Venom two seater would work?

H*ll yes ! - Great idea, Simon.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

What about an offset single bubble, a'la Canberra/Sea Vixen
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

Interesting! I''ll have to see what I've got in the way of canopies, and see what looks good. :cheers:

Not much more progress on this at the moment - I'm waiting on some .50 barrels to go in the nose, and I'm trying to work out how to represent the ADENs - I can't find any tubing small enough, and I'm not sure that plain plastic/metal rod wouldn't look naff....

Mossie

Thinking more about the ADEN, they'd probably simply replace the space taken up by the Hispanos.  The barrels wouldn't even protude, as the ADEN is a shorter weapon.  All that you'd really need to do is ream out the holes in the nose slightly, wouldn't give much of a visual impact.

Those Bofors are starting to sound good, with their flared muzzles, although I'm not sure about weight, most sources seem to mention the gun & carriage combined.  The Vicker S or QF 2 pounder "Pom Pom" might be an option, in twin mounts?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

The flared muzzles do sound pretty good. A couple of 1:48 or 1:32 machine gun barrels, perhaps, or maybe I can scrounge a couple of 1:72 Bofors from somewhere.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Jeffry Fontaine

The big propeller blades really make a this look different in a really good way ;^)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sotoolslinger

Really like this one :thumbsup: Pretty props :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland