Avro-Cierva Dragonfly

Started by Weaver, January 17, 2009, 03:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Again, might enter this, but havn't even got the kit/kits yet!

Patchwork World build. The original idea was a Bell Huey modified to look "Westland Scout/Waspy" as per the discussion on the UH-1 thread and the profile posted by there and in the PW thread by Apo. Basically, wheeled gear (possibly surplus from Belvedere project), exposed engine, 4-blade rotor, ribbed back end.

I might now do this one as a licence-built Avro product, since have it in mind to do eventually use it in a diorama with some Saracen/Saladin-based armour.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Well, got a kit at least/last (Italeri) and engines, one from my Iskra and one from Nick's (thanks Nick  :thumbsup:). 4-bladed rotor will now probably come from a half-built EC-145 that I picked up as a bonus in a job lot of stuff from ebay. That's good because, with undercarriage donated by my Belvedere, it means I don't have to buy a Wessex to butcher....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Okay, done some actual work on this, to the point where I have a mock-up. The fuselage is actually glued together, but it's okay because the roof is separate, so I can paint the interior as I go along.

The doors will fit FLUSH (i.e. better than the one in the pic), and will split horizontally rather than slide. Next, it needs an engine deck: since I bought it, I've realised that the new HobbyBoss one actually has an engine deck in the kit, so I could have saved myself a whole heap of effort...... :rolleyes: Mind you, the plastic is nice and soft on this Italieri one, which is good when cutting tiny bits off the fragile struts and frames.

- Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Weaver,

It's amazing how much the change to wheels makes it look so different! Excellent thinking.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Engine bay work:

Deck in
crossbeam for u/c strut top mountings
ribs on deck and tailboom for "Scout Look"
beefed up gearbox
tail rotor shaft
bulkhead detail (tiny ship gun turrets  ;D)
new rotor mast
side door inner plate

The original Huey rotor mast is very tall, probably because of the length of the blades. With a smaller four-bladed rotor on it it looked plain wrong, plus it only had control rods for two blades anyway, so I've made a new mast and swashplate, and (not in the picture) are four tiny brass rods to link the latter to the rotor head.

I want a textured anti-slip coating on the engine deck areas, so I'm toying with the idea of gluing a piece of 1500 grade wet'n'dry paper to it and painting it black - good idea/bad idea?

- Indiana Jones '

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on May 25, 2009, 02:27:20 AMI want a textured anti-slip coating on the engine deck areas, so I'm toying with the idea of gluing a piece of 1500 grade wet'n'dry paper to it and painting it black - good idea/bad idea?

A most excellent idea!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Main gear shock strut made from alloy tubing and brass rod:

- Indiana Jones '

chrisonord

I am liking this H,
I will be watching this with interest, and so will the Honduras Air Force  :wacko:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

deathjester

Quote from: The Rat on May 25, 2009, 05:02:35 AM
Quote from: Weaver on May 25, 2009, 02:27:20 AMI want a textured anti-slip coating on the engine deck areas, so I'm toying with the idea of gluing a piece of 1500 grade wet'n'dry paper to it and painting it black - good idea/bad idea?

You could try mixing a little sand with the black paint to give a better scale effect.

philp

This is a neat idea.
I will also be watching.
No pressure.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Quote from: deathjester on May 25, 2009, 03:19:17 PM
Quote from: The Rat on May 25, 2009, 05:02:35 AM

You could try mixing a little sand with the black paint to give a better scale effect.

Well my thinking was that 1500 grade bits are finer than sand...... Anyhow, tests will be done.

- Indiana Jones '

frank2056

This is looking really, really good. The sandpaper idea should work - just make sure that the edges are well glued.

Weaver

Did some tests last night and the 1500 grade is too subtle: the paint just fills up the grain. 600 grade looks just right though... :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the encouraging comments folks - all comments, criticisms, opinions etc welcome as ever.

- Indiana Jones '

Mossie

If your using wet & dry will you need to paint it?  It's nearly black as it is, or at least a very dark grey.  Maybe dry brush a slightly lighter shade to bring out the effect of the grain?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on May 26, 2009, 07:01:54 AM
If your using wet & dry will you need to paint it?  It's nearly black as it is, or at least a very dark grey.  Maybe dry brush a slightly lighter shade to bring out the effect of the grain?

The 1500 is distinctly grey, but the 600 (different brand) is black enough to get away with that.

My idea is to stick it on with double-sided tape (I have some nicely thin stuff) over the underlying paint....

- Indiana Jones '