Someone was looking for a 1/72 747, sorry I can't find thread to it now

Started by kitnut617, January 07, 2009, 11:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

A while back someone said they wanted an AiM 1/72 Boeing 747, check out Hannants' 'New Arrivals' section it seems they have some new kits in now ----- at GBP143.00   :o  Glad I got mine when I did, they're 40 quid more expensive now

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Martin H

I know its a big bugger (3 foot wingspan) but £143????????????   I hate to think how much they would be asking if it was resin!!!!!!!
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

B777LR

Would it be correct to say the Wright flyers first flight was a bit more than the wingspan of a Nimrod?

kitnut617

Not sure Thomas, but I have read that is wasn't longer than the length of a 747, actually the text said it could have been completed inside a C-5 Galaxys hold.

But the 747 isn't much smaller than a C-5, here's the 747 overlaying a C-5 drawing.

B777LR

First flight of the Wright Flyer = 36.5 meters
Wingspan of Nimrod MRA4 = 38,71 meters

Looks like it is indeed shorter than the wingspan of a Nimrod :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: B787 on January 08, 2009, 08:05:02 AM
First flight of the Wright Flyer = 36.5 meters
Wingspan of Nimrod MRA4 = 38,71 meters

I think you'll find it was 120 ft..................... :)

The US didn't use metres back then, and don't now if they can avoid it, just like us Brits.  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

The Wright's made four flights on that day:
120'
175'
200'
852'.

Jon

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

dragon

A 1/72 747.....Perfect for those who own the 1/72 Revell Space Shuttle.
Hopefully whoever buys the kit has money for an extension on the house to display the finished item :cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

kevincallahan

Kitnut, any chance you can take those 747 parts out of the bag and take some more snapshots? I've been on the verge of buying one of those monsters a couple of times, but wanted to get a better visual idea of what comes with it. From other AIM kits, I generally know what the vacformed pieces will be like, but I'm more interested in the resin, metal, and whatever else is in there. Mucho thanks.
Visit the 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/

cthulhu77

It was  me looking for one, like hell I am going to pay 200 bucks or so for a kit.

kitnut617

Quote from: kevincallahan on January 09, 2009, 01:34:28 PM
Kitnut, any chance you can take those 747 parts out of the bag and take some more snapshots? I've been on the verge of buying one of those monsters a couple of times, but wanted to get a better visual idea of what comes with it. From other AIM kits, I generally know what the vacformed pieces will be like, but I'm more interested in the resin, metal, and whatever else is in there. Mucho thanks.

I'll dig out the other one I have which has been opened (one I bought maybe five or six years ago), the one in the photo here I want to keep intact.  I've got the Shuttle Carrier conversion too, I'll take some photos of that while I'm at it.  It may be a while though as I have to go through the stash, if I haven't done it in a week or so, give us a shout and a reminder.

Robert

Nigel Bunker

Offtopic, looking at the picture of the 747 fuselage on the C-5 plan, I propose we have a whip round to buy kitnut617 a pair of slippers.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

kitnut617