More questions you'd feel dumb asking anywhere else but here...

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 02, 2009, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

I looked around the internet but could not find a definitive answer:

Can any/some/all wingtip fueltanks be jettisoned in flight the way underwing fueltanks usually can?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Daryl J.

Isn't there a video around somewhere of the F-80 Shooting Star jettisoning its tip tanks?   Granted, they are underwing rather than integrated and secured like the plank-wing F-84B/C/D/E/G.   Those were dealt with only by ground crew  IIRC.

How 'bout the Canberra?

Cobra

Hey John, i think you might be able to find that Footage on Youtube!!!! Don't quote me but...thought i saw something like that on Youtube! try putting F-80 into the search box and see what you get! :blink:

nev

I'm glad this thread has resurfaced cos I thought of a perfect question for it last night whilst watching The Clone Wars.

Now that I have seen all 7 Star Wars movies, may I ask, why exactly do Stormtroopers wear armour?  Because I have never seen it do *anything* to protect them.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

In that Galaxy far, far away, it was probably a way of subverting individualism even more than the cloning process itself, and was handy for intimidating those populations of rebelious systems...... in the movie world it was probably so that folks with a limited attention span could quickly differentiate the baddies from the goodies in the action scenes  :blink:

HtH

Ian
(tongue firmly rooted in cheek)
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Amphion

While googling "jettison wingtip tank" I got these hits:

Im shure theres more examples out there...... :blink:
Amphion

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 02, 2009, 10:01:45 PM
How 'bout the Canberra?

Daryl,

You obviously have a 'thing' about Canberras........ :)

The answer is yes, but Cans 'tip' tanks aren't at the tip, they are under it, pretty much like a P-80 Shooting Star.

There's a documented instance of a Canberra pilot losing his tanks just after take-off from Hawaii International en route to the Grapple tests in the Pacific. It was caused by a current surge firing two of the three explosive bolts holding the tanks when the cartridge starters refused to work. The tanks landed inside the airfield perimeter without igniting and were later converted to a twin-hulled boat for the use of the USAF crews based at Hickham Field, co-located at the same site. :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 03, 2009, 01:41:40 AM
The tanks landed inside the airfield perimeter without igniting and were later converted to a twin-hulled boat for the use of the USAF crews based at Hickham Field, co-located at the same site. :)

Y'see you just wouldn't get this stuff anywhere else but here..... great anecdote, Kit.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

The Rat

Jettisoning tip tanks on a P/F-80 would have to be an extreme emergency methinks, as when they were installed they actually improved both its speed and handling.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ed S

The tiptanks on the T-33 were also jettisonable.  But you really didn't want to do it.  There was a distinct possibility that one would drop and not the other.  The sudden yaw and roll would make for one heck of a ride.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys.  You are the best!  The T-33 type of outboard tanks are the ones I was wondering about so that question has been answered.

Next question?     :huh:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Daryl J.

TSR.2.    What do 'T', 'S', and 'R' mean and was there a TSR.1?

Daryl J.

Aircav

If I remember right the TSR.1 was a version of the Fairey Swordfish, but I could be wrong. ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

Tactical Strike Reconnaisance

And the TSR1 was the prototype Swordfish, yes.

But was there, or will there be, a TSR3?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit