WD Pteradon (or mo' F-5 abuse.....)

Started by Weaver, January 02, 2009, 10:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Okay, I got frustrated the other night at the "do one thing and wait 24 hrs" way in which other projects are going, so I set about this, which I've been scheming for a while. This will be Patchwork World project, possibly in the service of the Duchy of Cornwall, or perhaps an allied northern French micro-state.

Westland-Delanne Pteradon:

A tandem-winged, FOUR-engined fighter! I might yet cut down the rear wing and add endplate fins made from F-5 tailplanes. The front wingspan will be a bit smaller too, since I left stubs on the roots for mounting them. Undercarriage will probably be the original wheels on the rear wing plus a BIG twin-wheel unit just ahead of the CofG (bit like a Sud-est Se.100)

And how the deed was done:

NONE of this is glued together yet, since it needs a quick'n'dirty cockpit doing first (in paint as we speak).

Comments and crits welcome as usual, although to save time: YES I KNOW IT'S FUGLY!  ;D ;D ;D

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Tandem wing would be amazing in itself, but four-engined as well!  :o Awe - some!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on January 02, 2009, 10:55:09 AM
I thinks it's cooooool :mellow: :wub: :thumbsup:

It does, of course, have FOUR nose guns - just for you....  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Heck yeah  :wacko: and with 4 wings .....twice as many hardpoints :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

cthulhu77

That'd give a BAC Lightning a run for it's money !!!!! :wub:

Ed S

Interesting.  And an easy conversion.  Why it looks like it won't take more than 5 kilo's of putty.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

Baby's got lift, that's for sure!   :thumbsup:

Don't forget: lots of fueltanks.  Are you going to incorporate the Cdn style in-flight refueling probe?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Weaver

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 02, 2009, 04:28:33 PM
Baby's got lift, that's for sure!   :thumbsup:

Don't forget: lots of fueltanks.  Are you going to incorporate the Cdn style in-flight refueling probe?

Not for a PW build, no: the countries are so tiny and the "strategic" goals so parochial that trying for Mach 2 is likely to cause a border incident, never mind trying to get through a 4-digit number of gallons of Avtur. By the time you've flown 1000 miles, you've gone through at least five countries and been shot at at least ten times: in-flight re-arming would be more useful than in-flight re-fuelling..... ;D

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Tandem wing and four stacked engines!  :wub: :wub: :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ElectrikBlue

Good to see modern tandem wing designs!  :thumbsup:  :wub:

Regards,

EB

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Weaver

Small progress - guide pieces on the sides to keep it all square (the biggest problem), plus I cut some more off the bottom fuselage to make it a little less guppy-like:

Can't do more now until I've got the cockpit in.

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

Weaver

Well it got it's cockpit - just in time for it to be put on the back burner 'cos of all the GBs.....

I'm sticking with the single, original tail, BTW. The F-5 wings are just to thin to support twin tails without major, major re-modelling.

- Indiana Jones