S

Armor Scale-o-rama

Started by SinUnNombre, December 22, 2008, 05:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinUnNombre

,Or: Holy Crap, Jon Finished something!

Yep, since I joined What If all those years ago, I've probably been one of the least productive member of them all. But today, no more!

OK, enough of me trying to be all dramatic about it. The model is an Academy 1/48 scale T-72 with a Trumpeter 1/35 scale BMP-1 turret and main gun. Paint is Model Master Olive Drab over a Krylon Satin Black basecoat. Pretty much OOB kitbash, save the piece of 0.7 pencil lead for the co-axial gun. I think you can see it in the pictures. In the next couple days, probably once the holiday crush dies off, I'll get it touched-up and decaled, then I'll post the REAL finished pics. But anyway, here it is in all its glory:

Thanks to all for looking, and for your comments. And have a safe and happy holiday season.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Looks good!  My first thought while reading your description was that you had incorporated the barrel from the T-72 with the BMP turret which would have looked pretty impressive too. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Maverick

Certainly a different look.  Reminds me of the BMT-72 or whatever the heck it's called which is an APC variant of the T-72 retaining its turret.

Regards,

Mav

SinUnNombre

Thanks for the comments, guys. Yes, Jeffry, that would look pretty impressive as well. But I have BIG plans in store for that 1/48 T-72 turret and gun. Did I mention I have a 1/35 BMP-1 hull left over too??? Mav, not actually sure I've heard of that before. Do you have a pic? Thanks again.

Jon

Maverick

Happy to oblige Jon, also thought I'd throw in the BMPT Ramka which looks pretty spiffy as well.

Regards,

Mav

BlackOps

Jon, glad to see you finish one!  ;D   I like the nice low profile look this one has  :thumbsup: Very cool!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

SinUnNombre

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

General Zod

Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

SinUnNombre

Thanks again to everyone. Your positive comments are definitely driving me to keep working hard and finish something else. But I need opinions. This isn't 100% complete just yet, it still needs decals, which I'm looking around for at the moment. In your opinions(which I value quite a lot, actually), should I add a basket or stowage boxes or somewhat to the back of the turret? I love the sleek look it has, but it looks a little empty back there. I could quite easily add the boxes from the stock T-72 turret without much fuss. Thanks once again for your opinions and comments. Please keep pushing me on.

Jon

Maverick

Jon, might I suggest a Finnish 3 Tone?  I love the look of the camo & think such a vehicle would be 'just right'.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

Quote from: SinUnNombre on December 25, 2008, 09:36:14 PM
Thanks again to everyone. Your positive comments are definitely driving me to keep working hard and finish something else. But I need opinions. This isn't 100% complete just yet, it still needs decals, which I'm looking around for at the moment. In your opinions(which I value quite a lot, actually), should I add a basket or stowage boxes or somewhat to the back of the turret? I love the sleek look it has, but it looks a little empty back there. I could quite easily add the boxes from the stock T-72 turret without much fuss. Thanks once again for your opinions and comments. Please keep pushing me on.

Jon

Nice model - looks really good!  :thumbsup:

As to the stowage, it depends what you see it as. It looks to me like an amphibious recce tank, a replacement for the PT-76 if you like, in which case it's probably got loads of internal volume for flotation and doesn't need much external stowage (just as the PT-76 didn't). On the other hand, if it's something space-critical like a troop carrier, then it'd probably have all the external stowage it could get.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '