Микоян - Гуревич, МиГ-29 [Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29] NATO Reporting Name FULCRUM

Started by Fulcrum, December 21, 2008, 12:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulcrum

I have a couple models of the mig-29 that I want to modify.
options included a stealth fighter & a possible 2-seater stealth strike bomber :tornado: with an internal bomb bay.

Any ideas???
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

KJ_Lesnick

Wouldn't the plane have had to have been scaled up considerably in order to carry an internal weapons-bay?

It would probably have to be as big as a Su-27...

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Maverick

To make a bomber with 'stealthy' properties, could you use the space between the engine nacelles for a conformal weapons bay?  Seems to be a nice place to stuff in something extra, although it'd be limited in size, a bit like the F-117 weapon bay.

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Quote from: Shasper on December 21, 2008, 10:48:13 AM
You could add canards ala Su-27M (Su-37) . . .

Shas b)

I have seen a drawing of a MiG-29 derivative with canards - I think it may have been a real proposal for a MiG-35 or even carrier based variant.

Regards,

Greg

Fulcrum

Cool... thanks for the ideas, guys! If you have any more, you can post here.

More possible ideas:
               Fulcrum/Buccaner- use 2-seater to add radome, bomb bay(small), the buccaner's wings (they look cool) & the long speed brake between the engines.

Fulcrum/Delta Dart- single seater with a tailless delta & internal bay of airtoair missiles(sorry, if there is any trouble)
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Sauragnmon

Well, with the conformal payload bay concept, you'd also have to make a slight extension of the bay forward of the engine intakes so it divides the airflow and directs it into the intakes properly.  Moving the landing gears forward would also be of use, as you'd have them buried under the payload bay anyways.  I'm sitting here with one of my Salvage Fulcrums looking at it as I'm writing this.

The Fullback hybrid thought is a good idea, but you'd have to turn and make it so the ingress/egress is through the top.  You'd also want to cut down the slope on the top, removing things like the amenities in behind the cockpit.  You could probably also stand to shorten the nose on it a little, I'm not sure what kind of electronics are on the inside of the nose.  I believe the later Fulcrums also have the upper intakes removed, which could be applied in one thought.  With the widened fuselage, you could also do something more with the payload.  You could also raise the spine, keep the fuel storage expanded, and put a small rotating bay concept in the widened, expanded fuselage.

As for other stealth concepts, planing out the lines to decrease curvature and surface area would serve to help with reducing cross section, as per B-2 Spirit.  With the bomber design, the side-by-side seat is potentially a helpful concept with regards to expanding available payload bay space.  You might also have to increase wing area with the bomber to generate more lifting capacity.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Maverick on December 21, 2008, 11:36:41 AM
To make a bomber with 'stealthy' properties, could you use the space between the engine nacelles for a conformal weapons bay?  Seems to be a nice place to stuff in something extra, although it'd be limited in size, a bit like the F-117 weapon bay.

Regards,

Mav

Like this, maybe?
Will die without understanding this world.

Sauragnmon

Yeah, that would probably do for the stealth fighter payload bay, and with a minimum of surgery required for the landing gear as well.  Wouldn't carry a whole lot though, a lot like the F-117, but such is life.

You could also go over the outer sides of the engine mounts as well, and in the act of smoothing over the outline there to clean up radar signature, you'd create a few potential payload positions as well, akin to mounts on the F-22 for some AAM payload on the sneak.  A couple of archers behind the main gear positions in bays.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

GTX

If you want something a little simpler (i.e. paint scheme), may I suggest having a look here (chp 11).

Regards,

Greg

Jeffry Fontaine

Has anyone attempted to create a variable geometry wing MiG-29?  Might be possible if you were willing to do a kit bash and a little scale-o-rama between a larger MiG-29 and a smaller scale Fencer, F-14, or Tornado kit for the wings and fairings.  Has anyone been brave enough to try this?  Step up and be recognized for your efforts!
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Overkiller on December 24, 2008, 03:24:34 AMOne idea I have looked into was fitting a F-16XL style cranked arrow wing to a two seat MiG-29 as a sort of smaller Strike Eagle analogue, I did create a plan view of this but can't locate it at the moment  :banghead:

I'll try to rustle up a few quick MS Paint plan views.

Great idea Duncan.  You also gave me some additional inspiration for the MiG-29 which would be to adapt the LANTIRN pods from the F-15E to the thing.  Mount them under the engine intakes and give it some markings for a current user that is now shopping for Western technology. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Sauragnmon

It does look a little stubby - the wings haven't increased in surface area any, in fact I fear they might have Decreased in surface area.  It also looks oddly out of place because of the whole way the wings are cleaner for panel lines.

If you want the Tu-144 wing, try the 21I Analog, that wing should fit decently onto a Fulcrum with a little bashing possibly.  I don't know if it would increase surface area though.  The other idea might be to crank the delta earlier and extend the wing out more.  You'll have to play with the design a little, but smooth the join line between the root and the wing, and situate the crank in the delta at the first line across the wing, with about double the length of the original cranked section.  That should drastically increase surface area I would imagine.

VG Fulcrum might look interesting, bash a Flogger wing onto it, I would surmise that's the closest in size comparison for the Fulcrum.  Fit the swing glove at the current wing root, blend it into the root's section, and I should imagine Bob's your uncle from there.