Gentlemen, your assistance is required.....

Started by Radish, December 14, 2008, 11:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Chaps, I'm in the process of building a couple of flying boats.
One will be by Short, the other by Supermarine.

So, I want a Short *******, preferably a town, settlement on the coast, beginning with "S", like the Sunderland, Seaford, Stranraer, etc..

The second is I want a Supermarine *******, preferably a fierce marine animal.

Over to you.

Lauren has helped me type. :wub:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Nigel Bunker

Short: Seaton, Southend, Southwold

Supermarine: Vole, Shrew, Mink, Hippopotamus
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

NARSES2

Short - Skegness, Scarborough, Sizewell

Supermarine - Orca, Leopard Seal, Pike
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

I'm SO tempted to suggest Stockport for the Shorts job, but I'm afraid we're only "near" the sea in astronomical terms.... :rolleyes: How about "St. Ives"? "Shorts Saint Ives" kinda trips off the tongue......

Regarding Supermarine, could you nick "shark" from Blackburn, either by preceding it or coming along after it was out of service? Hwo about a variation on it: Tigershark?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Short Seamer, Seahouses, Swansea, Speke (were the MSFU was based), Southport, Saint Annes, Spurn (the Humber headland), Seaham.

Short Scunthorpe.  Not a coastal town exactly, but there's a certain, erm, 'four letter word' contained in there that it's often joked about & could be elaborated on!

Supermarine Sailfish, Scorpion Fish, Shag(?!?), Stingray, Siren.  If it's not limited to 'S', maybe Conger, Moray, Manta, Alligator, Crocodile, Herring Gull?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

wikxie

Short Scunthorpe   :rolleyes:

Supermarine Osprey (I'm assuming this will predate the currant one), Sea Eagle, Mako (Shark)....  

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

nev

Short Sutton-on-Sea :)

Supermarine Neptune?  Supermarine Poseidon?  Supermarine Susanoo (No, really.  Its the Shinto god of the sea).  Supermarine Sangarius.  Supermarine Spercheus.  Supermarine Nethuns.  Supermarine Salacia

There, that's exhausted all the gods of water & the sea that I can think of :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

I'm with Chris on the Short Scarborough. And Supermarine? I sooooo want to use 'Shitepoke', but they aren't exactly fierce.  :lol:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Radish

Simply amazing.

I'll let you know...

the Short ?????? will be done by Christmas (I hope) and therefore be at Bolton, etc...

the Supermarine ????? will follow :wacko:

sequoiaranger

Supermarine Stingray (Broad wings, a big gliding thing, and a potent stinger)

Short Sneem (coastal town in southwestern Ireland--definitely only the British Isles would have a name like that!)
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

retro_seventies

Short...  Shanklin?  Swansea?

Supermarine... Smelt (i know, i know- but it does have a marvellous ring to it). Salamander? Skink?  None are too fierce, but the sound great!
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Mossie

Supermarine Squid??? :lol:  Some species of squid are very ferocious, but as an aircraft name???  Might fit one of your projects though Terry! :wacko:

Short Sydenham.  Something with a bit more 'reality', Sydenham (as well as being a London Borough) is an area of Belfast.  The City Airport is located here & there were both RAF & RN bases here.  Moreover, it has a Short connection, the Harland factory is located there & it's where the Sunderland & Stirling were produced.  I think!

Short Shannon, Irish connection again, although being in the Republic it might not qualify.  Going with Eire, there's always Short Swords!  It's an area of Dublin but has a funky double meaning!

Radish