Su-15 Flagon

Started by GTX, December 13, 2008, 01:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

I have always liked the big Sukhoi Su-15.  What if when they were playing with the Su-17 and Su-24, they also decided to do a VG version of the Su-15:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Henry Yeh

It would have killed the MiG-23 program.

ElectrikBlue

:wub: I love the SU-15 in it's delta version, but the VG is a great idea! :wub: :thumbsup:

Regards,

EB

ChernayaAkula

Looks absolutely natural on the Flagon! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Daryl J.

Quite frankly, when first glanced at, the thought was 'They really did that'.    Nope.

It's a great Fool the JMN whiffer, yes!

Daryl J.

Archibald

Quote from: Henry Yeh on December 13, 2008, 01:13:21 PM
It would have killed the MiG-23 program.

Nobody would regret the Mig-23! Maybe the Su-15 would be a better basis for VG, being larger...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Ed S

Great idea.  The Flagon looks right with those wings.  It would be an easy model to do.  Wings from an Su22 added to one of the new Trumpeter Flagons.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

chrisonord

It favours a scaled down TU-22 Backfire doesn't it.
I like all the 50's to 70's  Soviet aircraft, their chunky purposefulness is brilliant.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

GTX

Quote from: Daryl J. on December 13, 2008, 04:53:38 PM
Quite frankly, when first glanced at, the thought was 'They really did that'.    Nope.

It's a great Fool the JMN whiffer, yes!

Daryl J.

Don't worry - I had to check my references first too!

Regards,

Greg

dy031101

Wikiepdia speaks of a proposed version that uses the same radar and weapons as the MiG-25 called Su-15-30......

Does anyone know if the Flagon's nose and radome would need to be altered to accommodate the Smerch or the Saphir radar?

EDIT: Air Vectors site states that the Taifun series of radars (used by definitive Su-15 models) are in fact variant of the Smerch radar...... is that right?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Arc3371

A version I did a while back

Sauragnmon

I'm on my way towards getting a couple of Flagons, and I was wondering a bit about the Smerch radar variant, in one part.

One that I'm thinking about doing is the Su-19 - I just don't know exactly what's meant with the commentary in wikipedia of an Ogival wing - I looked up what an ogive is (I knew the ogival delta on the 21 Analog, wasn't sure what the Ogival meant then) and I know what an Ogive translates to, but I don't know what sort of dimensions the Ogival wings on the Su-19 would have had.  I'm thinking the Su-19 with a Smerch radar would be pretty beefy.

Alternate idea that I'm thinking of is to go for broke and do an Ogive Delta on a Flagon - tear off the tail and wings, and give it an Analog-style ogive delta wing, all the way along, sorta like a Flagon-XL.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

ElectrikBlue

Quote from: Sauragnmon on February 20, 2009, 08:33:09 PM
I'm on my way towards getting a couple of Flagons, and I was wondering a bit about the Smerch radar variant, in one part.

One that I'm thinking about doing is the Su-19 - I just don't know exactly what's meant with the commentary in wikipedia of an Ogival wing - I looked up what an ogive is (I knew the ogival delta on the 21 Analog, wasn't sure what the Ogival meant then) and I know what an Ogive translates to, but I don't know what sort of dimensions the Ogival wings on the Su-19 would have had.  I'm thinking the Su-19 with a Smerch radar would be pretty beefy.

Alternate idea that I'm thinking of is to go for broke and do an Ogive Delta on a Flagon - tear off the tail and wings, and give it an Analog-style ogive delta wing, all the way along, sorta like a Flagon-XL.

See here (in German): http://www.suchoj.com/ab1953/Su-19/home.shtml

EB

Sauragnmon

Nice, so That explains where the ogives in the wing were.  Thanks, EB!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

Some Su-15s in other markings would be nice:

• Any Warsaw Pact
  • China - no split
  • Egypt
  • Syria
  • India
  • Vietnam
  • Libya

Regards,

Greg