Main Menu

The RFP Group Build!

Started by Supertom, December 09, 2008, 01:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supertom

Hey fellas,

How about this?  We'll pretend we're a country needing a new aircraft, tank and ship (we'll give them some cool program name that ends in the letter X or something – too bad the UKMoD already has a monopoly on the cool-sounding Future Offensive something-something).  Anyway as a country we'll come up with some requirements and the companies (ie you) will submit proposals for the next-generation warfighting machine, and er, mockups and technology demonstrators.  The winner of the program will uh, win the contract (probably a pork pie).

What do you think?
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

rallymodeller

Sounds interesting. Just as long as the politics are kept out of the decision-making process.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

pyro-manic

Sounds fun to me! The Ship category could prove difficult, though - there's not really that much out there in terms of kits - other than a rather limited range (ie Pacific war and Bismarck vs. Hood for WWII, and USN  - along with a few Soviet/Russian and Falklands War-era RN - for modern ships) that may be difficult to adapt to certain requirements (say a small island nation looking for a new class of OPVs - what are you going to use as a base kit??).
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

puddingwrestler

As long as the program doesn't get canceled  :ph34r:
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

Won't you need to have three years of operational-cost-effectiveness evaluations and risk-reduction studies first though?  :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rallymodeller

Quote from: Weaver on December 09, 2008, 06:58:53 PM
Won't you need to have three years of operational-cost-effectiveness evaluations and risk-reduction studies first though?  :wacko:

I'm in Canada. It's more like ten years and then turns into no competition contracts anyway (viz. CC130J, CC177, new CH147s, LAV-series etc.) :rolleyes:
--Jeremy

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Daryl J.

Sounds like an opportunity to make a new game.

:cheers:,
Daryl J., lightly Black Labelled

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Quote from: Daryl J. on December 09, 2008, 09:23:47 PM
Sounds like an opportunity to make a new game.

:cheers:,
Daryl J., lightly Black Labelled

Could be based on snakes and laddders.

The senator who's campaign fund you contributed to gets appointed to the armed forces committee: go up a ladder.

Competitor files a lawsuit complaining that the competition you won wasn't fair: go down a snake......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

RFP = Request For Proposals - one of the 97 steps in the ten-year process of buying anything for the military these days........ :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones

upnorth

Quote from: rallymodeller on December 09, 2008, 08:26:40 PM
Quote from: Weaver on December 09, 2008, 06:58:53 PM

I'm in Canada. It's more like ten years and then turns into no competition contracts anyway (viz. CC130J, CC177, new CH147s, LAV-series etc.) :rolleyes:

Yeah, ten years for aircraft to replace aircraft that should have been replaced 20 years before.

Replacement aircraft contract signed and approved. New government comes in and promply cancels the contract to showcase their "commitment to fiscal responsibility" said action cost Canadians millions in contract cancelation penalties.

Some years later, after several accidents with the 40+ year old aircraft that had their replacement cancelled, that same Canadian government concedes a replacement aircraft is needed. The only aircraft that meets the requirements is the one they cancelled a few years before. They buy some stripped down models of it to replace the aging SAR aircraft but, due to the cost of the original cancelation penalties, can't buy a viable number of the fully equiped maritime patrol version.

Yes, the Canadian EH-101 deal still burns me to think about! :angry:
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

rallymodeller

Quote from: upnorth on December 10, 2008, 11:53:23 AM
Yes, the Canadian EH-101 deal still burns me to think about! :angry:

And then we bought them anyway for a different role, and then bought something else completely for ASW!

Grrr...
--Jeremy

Daryl J.

Since we're moving and have our business records together, would a photo of that 500 pound stack of paper qualify as the 'R' part of the RFP build?   It would, of course be a 1/48 scale representation................ :blink: :blink:

In all seriousness, this also sounds like an interesting idea.

Daryl J.

puddingwrestler

You know, this could become an annual event. Very year we choose another 'sponsor nation' (ie: whiffer) to come up with some requirments, which we then all battle to meet. The winner then wins the 'contract' (the prize, possibly an inflatable fish), and next year it happens all over again. depending on the sponsor nation we could end up trying to win contracts for a whole slew of things (possibly inflatable fish?) and let's face it, this idea is to good to only run once.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.