Turboprop F4U Corsair in Vietnam

Started by Ed S, December 08, 2008, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Here is the project that I'm working on for the ARC What If Group build. 

Story:

After the Korean War, the Marines decided to keep their F4U Corsairs.  It had become clear to them that the new faster jets just couldn't get down in the weeds and do CAS like the slower props.  As the war in Vietnam grew during the 60's, the Corsairs were starting to show their age.  It was particularly difficult to get parts and keep the old radial engines running.  So by the mid 60's the Marines were looking at getting their Corsairs re-engined. When the first prototypes were being rebuilt with turboprops, it became obvious that more than just an engine change was needed.  As  result, the new Corsairs had new turboprops, new wings, new avionics, ejection seats and a number of other smaller changes.  Basically a new aircraft, they were designated A-8's in line with the new DOD system.

Here is what I'm starting with.  An old Frog 1/72 F4U.

Here is the first step in the change.  The wingtips and ailerons have been removed to make new longer wing tips.

Ed

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Ed S on December 08, 2008, 08:32:03 PMHere is the project that I'm working on for the ARC What If Group build. 

Story:

After the Korean War, the Marines decided to keep their F4U Corsairs.  It had become clear to them that the new faster jets just couldn't get down in the weeds and do CAS like the slower props.  As the war in Vietnam grew during the 60's, the Corsairs were starting to show their age.  It was particularly difficult to get parts and keep the old radial engines running.  So by the mid 60's the Marines were looking at getting their Corsairs re-engined. When the first prototypes were being rebuilt with turboprops, it became obvious that more than just an engine change was needed.  As  result, the new Corsairs had new turboprops, new wings, new avionics, ejection seats and a number of other smaller changes.  Basically a new aircraft, they were designated A-8's in line with the new DOD system.

Hi Ed,

Will this involve making the nose longer?  Or will you manage to make it all fit in the space provided?  Seeing the fuel tank section in the first image had me thinking you were adding length to it.  Either way this will be interesting to see when you have it done. 

Good Luck!
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

PR19_Kit

Ed,

Nice thinking.  :lol:

And if Piper could do it with the P-51, why not a Corsair too?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

So will it still have the normal corsair radial engine nose or a reshaped cowling to accomodate the turboprop?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

noxioux

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 09, 2008, 01:33:48 PM
So will it still have the normal corsair radial engine nose or a reshaped cowling to accomodate the turboprop?

Yes, Enquiring minds want to know!!!

JoeP

Just don't unbend those wings, or you'll ruin its looks.

I'm going to enjoy the result of this one. The Corsair was a favorite of mine even before "Baa Baa Black Sheep" came on the air.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Sisko

I had a similar idea for my hobbyboss corsair.

This should be good to watch
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

jcf

Interesting concept Ed.
One note on your backstory though, you may want to come up with a different reason for changing the engines as the R-2800 was in production until 1960 with over 125,000 engines constructed by that time. Spares would not be a problem in the early to mid-60s.

Jon

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ed S

Got the chance to do a little work on this one.  The holiday season keeps me busy. (Look at my avatar and you can see why.)  Anyway, this shows how the fuselage is coming along.  I cut off the original nose at the aft end of the cowl flaps.  Then added a piece from an old 1/48 fuel tank for the new nose. It will be slightly longer than the original.  Another old fuel tank piece became the engine intake.  Once the glue is cured up on this, I can put on some putty to blend the new nose to the old fuselage.  I expect this to take a fair amount of putty.  You can also see the hole in the fuselage for the engine exhaust.

Jon, thanks for the info on the engine.  I guess in this alternate time line, things didn't work that way.  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;D)

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Brian da Basher

Very interesting modifications, Ed! I'm looking forward to watching this one come together!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Rafael

WOW!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

A pointy-ended Corsair!!!! Now, this is the type of conversion I like!!! I'm going to sit very quietly up front and watch what magic you come up with, Ed.

Good luck with the Papa Noel (Santa) season!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm sure the grandchildren will have a blast again with grandpa

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

That looks like it is going to be cool :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

KiwiZac

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wicked! This shows a ton of promise, Ed! Looks like I came back into the fold just in time.... :bow: viva la turbowarbird!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates