Looking for a Vulcan Model

Started by Cobra, December 07, 2008, 09:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, can Anyone tell me Where i could find a 'Budget Friendly' model of the Avro Vulcan Bomber? Always wanted 1 but.............some places were Too High on the Price! Any help will do!

Mossie

Ebay might be your best bet, some of the older boxing's go for reasonable prices.  The current kit is bit dearer because it's a gift set with paints included.

Shrewsbury Model Centre often have their models at discounted prices, they have an ebay shop if your willing to trawl through it, or you can find their contact details here:
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/124-Shrewsbury_Model_Centre

Saying all that, there's some here that might have one or two in the loft who might offer a swap or a reasonable price for it, but mine will be built I'm afraid, sometime, anyway!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

It depends how much of the Vulcan you need........

There are a few of the old vacform Rareplanes kits knocking about now, there were 3 in the kit sale at SMW this year. It's hard work building a whole Vulcan from one though, I got 80% done with mine when Airfix announced the injection one, so I stopped the vacform one and gave it to a mate to finish. He still hasn't....... :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Cobra on December 07, 2008, 09:11:02 PMHey Guys, can Anyone tell me Where i could find a 'Budget Friendly' model of the Avro Vulcan Bomber? Always wanted 1 but.............some places were Too High on the Price! Any help will do!

Are you located in Europe (UK) or North America?  The purpose of the question is to determine if it is going to be cost effective to offer you an Airfix 1/72nd scale Vulcan since I live in the states and postage to anyplace outside of the US is getting stoooooooooooooooooopid.  Case in point is a kit that I paid ~$20.00 for here cost me an additional $32.00 to send it to the UK by regular first class postage to friend of mine over there.  I about soiled myself when the postal clerk told me what it was going to cost to send it but I had to suck it up and pay the money in order to get the kit to where it needed to go. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

kitnut617

One of the LMS's in Calgary has one listed for C$59.00
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Sentinel Chicken

Willing to do vacuform? I think I have a Welsh 1/144 Vulcan in the stash somewhere that I'm fairly certain I'll never get to.

Jennings

The Thunderball airplane was Vulcan B.1A XA913.  There is no model kit of a B.1A other than the old Contrail (?) vacuform from the mid-1970s.  The closest is the Lindberg Vulcan (which is an odd scale), but it more or less represents the prototype.  The Airfix kit is the B.2, which had a larger wing and deeper intakes, among other changes.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Jennings on December 08, 2008, 08:22:46 PMThe Thunderball airplane was Vulcan B.1A XA913.  There is no model kit of a B.1A other than the old Contrail (?) vacuform from the mid-1970s.  The closest is the Lindberg Vulcan (which is an odd scale), but it more or less represents the prototype.  The Airfix kit is the B.2, which had a larger wing and deeper intakes, among other changes.

Apparently there is a resin conversion for the B.1A from Flight Path or DB Resins (not sure which is current) that was available to modify the Airfix or MPC kit to back date it.  One of the Brit Modeller members by the name of "V" (real name Geoff) is currently working on a conversion of the Airfix Vulcan B.2 and backdating it to a B.1A
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

PR19_Kit

I've got that B1/B1A conversion kit, and twice I've got it out and had a look at doing an early Vulcan.

Then I put it back again!  :lol:

As Geoff on Britmodeller says it's a huge job, vast chunks of Airfix wing have to be carved off, and the intake mod is not easy either. From what he writes the fit isn't that good either, but then it's probably a lot better deal than trying to scratchbuild the modification I'm sure. My conversion was an early DB one, in the almost see-through, and quite brittle, resin wrapped in tissue, took well over an hour to get rid of all the tissue! The Flightpath versions are in that pale sand coloured stuf, much easier to work with and nowhere near as sticky.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 08, 2008, 11:36:54 PMI've got that B1/B1A conversion kit, and twice I've got it out and had a look at doing an early Vulcan.

Then I put it back again!  :lol:

As Geoff on Britmodeller says it's a huge job, vast chunks of Airfix wing have to be carved off, and the intake mod is not easy either. From what he writes the fit isn't that good either, but then it's probably a lot better deal than trying to scratchbuild the modification I'm sure. My conversion was an early DB one, in the almost see-through, and quite brittle, resin wrapped in tissue, took well over an hour to get rid of all the tissue! The Flightpath versions are in that pale sand coloured stuf, much easier to work with and nowhere near as sticky.

It appears that Geoff "V" has not had any new input to his Vulcan B.1A topic for a while now.  So he may have put it back on the shelf for a time out.  I must say that the one comparison shot of the two models (B.1A and B.2) sitting on the table really does give you an appreciation for what is needed to make the conversion. 

Weaver

I know somebody who might have an Aurora Mr. Spock, if that's any help?

Oh, that's not what you meant, was it?  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PanzerWulff

Hey Cobra incoming PM  :thumbsup:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Aircav

Quote from: Cobra on December 08, 2008, 06:31:02 PM
i live in the U.S.! 1 reason for looking for the Vulcan:THUNDERBALL! the other Reason:always wanted to get 1! i also live in the Badger State!

That'll be State of Wisconsin then
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Jennings

Yes, DB Resins (now owned by Flightpath) made a resin B.1/B.1A conversion for the Airfix kit.  Its major failing was a lack of new intakes (they simply told you to shorten the vertical dimension of the kit intakes - nigh impossible to do well).  I've got one about 1/3 completed and lost steam years ago on it.  I'd kill to do a model of XA913 someday though.  It may be possible in 1/144 in the not too distant future (hint, hint, and not Anigrand!)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Jennings on December 13, 2008, 02:57:16 PM
Yes, DB Resins (now owned by Flightpath) made a resin B.1/B.1A conversion for the Airfix kit.  Its major failing was a lack of new intakes (they simply told you to shorten the vertical dimension of the kit intakes - nigh impossible to do well). 

Odd, I'm pretty sure mine did have intakes, but in that brittle clear resin. The lower leading edges of both intakes had broken away and were lost in the small pile of clear resin flash that filled the tissue covering.

I wonder if they decided not to include that as a result of the breakages?

Regards
Kit