32 scale P-51

Started by noxioux, December 06, 2008, 09:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxioux

To whiff, or not to whiff, that is the question.  This is going to be a gift for someone who would probably never know the difference, but I'm leaning toward doing an 'operational' Soviet P-51 in that striking white scheme like this MiG-3:

But, that aside, here's my work on it so far:

And just for the record, I don't care what "They" say, this Dragon kit is a gem.

Tophe

Great project, great start... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

gooberliberation

Plausible AND good looking. Sounds like a winner to me. :thumbsup:
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Captain Canada

Geez...I dunno, buddy. To do all that detail work and then not make her a City of Winnipeg, or Calgary, or Hamilton......

:thumbsup:

I'd try a 72nd scale example first, see how much you like it. But then again, the shock value of a large, expensive, and well done kit is always priceless !

Great job so far !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sotoolslinger

Dang that is beautiful detail painting :wub: Is she gonna have open hatches and canopy so we can see all that goodness? I think your idea for the paint job is HOT :thumbsup: :bow: Should be gorgeous ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

noxioux

I believe I paid about $35 for the kit, so it's really pretty cheap as far as 32 scale kits go.  That's one of the things that blew me away when I got it out of the box.  There are a lot of pissing and moaning reviews of this kit, but I'm dead serious--you can't beat it for the money.

And yes, I will absolutely open 'er up as much as possible.  I did this trick a long time ago with some tiny little magnets and a B-1B radome, so I think I'll arrange the machinegun covers and engine covers so that they snap on and off, and are held by the magnets.  Then the model can be displayed open or closed, without worrying about pieces falling off.

Many moons ago, I spent about $150 on resin and brass details for a Tamiya Panther.  The only way you can even tell is if I practically tear the whole thing apart.  I vowed never to do that again!  If nobody can see it without straining their eyeballs, then it's no good.

I'm using some very nice .015 solder to add some more 'wires' and 'hoses'.  If you guys haven't tried it, the tiny solder is excellent for this sort of thing.

Thanks for the encouragement, fellas.  This place is the best! :cheers:

cthulhu77

Stunning paint job !  I didn't think the kit was all that much of a stinker, but the jmn's sure bitched about it.

Brian da Basher

Looks like a gem of a kit to me, and you are certainly doing it proud, noxioux! I think that VVF paint scheme is a winner all the way!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. You could always replace the red stars with maple leafs and choose an appropriate Canadian monogram in red.  :wacko:

Captain Canada

You know, for somebody from South of the border, you sure is smart, Mr. Basher. And good looking. I would also mention 'talented', but wouldn't want your head to swell.....

I looked in my stash, and the biggest stars I have are a tiy between a 144th scale Il-78 and a 72nd scale Backfire. They're exactly 3/4" from point to point, so I'm assuming to small ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

BlackOps

Coolness! I love the scheme and think this is going to be one sexy bird if your start is any indication  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Sisko

That scheme on a mustang..........YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 08, 2008, 07:11:25 PM
You know, for somebody from South of the border, you sure is smart, Mr. Basher. And good looking. I would also mention 'talented', but wouldn't want your head to swell.....

<snip>

I'm blushing now...
;)
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

>And yes, I will absolutely open 'er up as much as possible.  I did this trick a long time ago with some tiny little magnets and a B-1B radome, so I think I'll arrange the machinegun covers and engine covers so that they snap on and off, and are held by the magnets.  Then the model can be displayed open or closed, without worrying about pieces falling off.<

My head spins with the revelation! Thanks. I was going to motorize my next project with a DVD motor to run the prop, and I was trying to think of ways to have a removable cover for the battery compartment to change out batteries (I guess I really plan to wear that baby out!). I never thought of magnets!

That's what I just LOVE about this forum---you pick up so many "tips" from someone!

Next---where can I get tiny disc magnets, like about 1/16th to 1/8th inch apart (maybe 2-3mm)? Are yours that small? I might be able to use some flexible "sheet" magnetic tape, but I would prefer little discs to use. Any suggestions?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

noxioux

Quote from: Brian da Basher on December 08, 2008, 01:26:34 PM
P.S. You could always replace the red stars with maple leafs and choose an appropriate Canadian monogram in red.  :wacko:

That scheme is a seriously great idea. :wub:  Better put that one on my list!

As far as the magnets go, I bought a small assortment from some place I can't even remember now.  But they come in every size and shape you can imagine.  Here's one site that looks promising, right off the bat: http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

Originally I was going to buy a couple of the half-inch cubes to try out that "Build your own Railgun" idea (youtube that one, you'll see a dozen vids of it).  Those rare-earth magnets are pretty strong, even in the smaller sizes.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: noxioux on December 06, 2008, 09:28:40 AM
This is going to be a gift for someone who would probably never know the difference,

Aw, Noxioux, you shouldn't have (but you do have my *new* address, just to be sure----right?)

:thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.