Armour on the bench *Updated Pics Dec. 12*

Started by rallymodeller, December 04, 2008, 02:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallymodeller

So I posted in another thread about a Canadian armour whatif group build going on. For you nice chaps, here are some preview pics of what I'm doing:

1. Timberwolf C2 (Bofors Stridsvagn 103):

It obviously has some changes; but what is not as apparent in that shot is the Euromissile HOT launcher mount and better sight on the commander's cupola. When finished, it'll be in REFORGER exercise markings.

2. Abrams C3:

Biggest change with this one is the substitution of the German L/55 long-barrel 120mm main gun. It's got other bits from a Leopard 2 as well. The idea is that Canada bought M1s back in the early 80s and have been progressively updating them ever since. At forst they were normal M1s, but since then we have diverged a little bit.

I have extensive backstory files to go with each, and I will be posting the stories when the models are done.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Damian2

Man those look awesome!! I really dig the Timberwolf!

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Sauragnmon

Nice stuff, Rally.  Interesting designs for certain.  Timberwolf looks neat, and I'm guessing that, not really noticable, the Abrams C3 is carrying a Diesel powerpack?  I seriously doubt the CF would have gone for that gas-chugging turbine engine, and would have opted for the diesel.  Sure it's a cost to speed, but the improved fuel milage wouldn't be lost on us.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

Nifty stuff :thumbsup: Panzerwulf should be droolin all over his keyboard :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

noxioux

Quote from: Sauragnmon on December 04, 2008, 03:18:22 PM
Nice stuff, Rally.  Interesting designs for certain.  Timberwolf looks neat, and I'm guessing that, not really noticable, the Abrams C3 is carrying a Diesel powerpack?  I seriously doubt the CF would have gone for that gas-chugging turbine engine, and would have opted for the diesel.  Sure it's a cost to speed, but the improved fuel milage wouldn't be lost on us.

I need to find a link, but I believe that a Diesel powerplant has been being considered ever since Desert Storm due to that very reason.

Great looking armor, though.  Gotta love that Timberwolf.  The HOT launcher is a great idea.

Sauragnmon

Yeah, I've heard about it before Nox, the concept of a diesel engine in the Abrams.  That thing drinks gas like a career drinker goes through cheap beer.

I'm guessing externally it'd be little different, but still, not a bad looking idea.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: rallymodeller on December 04, 2008, 02:05:38 PMSo I posted in another thread about a Canadian armour whatif group build going on. For you nice chaps, here are some preview pics of what I'm doing:

1. Timberwolf C2 (Bofors Stridsvagn 103):

It obviously has some changes; but what is not as apparent in that shot is the Euromissile HOT launcher mount and better sight on the commander's cupola. When finished, it'll be in REFORGER exercise markings.

Jeremy,

Are you positive that is a HOT ATGM Launcher?  It looks more like the MILAN ATGM launcher that was included in the (Revell of Germany) TPZ Fuchs and the (Italeri and Tamiya) Marder kits. 

Nice approach on the Abrams C3 with the Leopard parts.  The longer gun tube definitely looks good. 

I also added the link to your initial comment to steer other members to the Modern Canadian Vehicles Discussion Forums where your topic is located. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

rallymodeller

Good eye, Jeffrey! It is the base of the Marder 1A5 MILAN launcher, but I am using the HOT missile tubes that came with the 1/32 Revell PAH-1 kit. I have four all painted up -- one will go on the mount, one in "ready" position crossways behind the cupola and two in the bustle rack on back. I have been saving up stowage goodies. Believe me when I say that rack will be FULL  :thumbsup:
--Jeremy

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Weaver

Small real-world point (you can always whiff your way around it, of course):

You can't fire HOT from a MILAN-style open, manned launcher: you'd burn your face off. MILAN has a "pop charge" that burns out before it clears the tube, punting it down range far enough that it's clear of the operator when the sustainer fires. HOT, on the other hand, "hot-launches" (appropriately enough) straight from the tube. This is primarily so that it clears a helicopter's downwash quicker with less deflection, but the ground-launched ones work the same way: that's why they're always under armour with remote sighting.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rallymodeller

Way ahead of you, Weav. I knew the HOT, like the TOW, has a big backblast area. I just used the base of the launcher, sort of as a "mount". I have the launcher all built up; I'll post pics of the cupola this afternoon.
--Jeremy

sudzonic

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!

frank2056

Jeremy - I love the colors on the Timberwolf. What paint is the earth/rust color?

Frank

Weaver

Quote from: rallymodeller on December 05, 2008, 09:25:27 AM
Way ahead of you, Weav. I knew the HOT, like the TOW, has a big backblast area. I just used the base of the launcher, sort of as a "mount". I have the launcher all built up; I'll post pics of the cupola this afternoon.

Ah, I see, so it's a sort of halfway house: the rail's exposed and manually loaded, but then the commander shuts his hatch firmly and controls the HOT via his (modified) periscope? That makes it a bit like the K3S system in Jagdpanzer Raketes then, but without the launcher retract feature.

It's an interesting concept for an ambush tank-destroyer: take out the first few at 4000m with HOT, and then when they try to take advantage of the long flight and reload times by charging what they assume to be a pure HOT launcher, they run into the 105mm at 2000m  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Both these models look really god and are interesting concepts - well done!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rafael

RM, I love that Bofors Stridsvagn 103 :wub: :wub: :wub: Even with wheels and tracks it looks like a futuristic hovertank :lol:

The colors are very pleasing, and the REFORGER scheme and markings are a great idea.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

rallymodeller

Got a package of Archer transfers t'other day. So I did a little more work on the Timberwolf:

Left side. The maple leaf is one of the transfers from the "Modern Canadian License Plates" set. Works amazing.

Left 3/4. Note scratchbuilt big-assed exhaust. In the backstory the twin engine pack has been replaced by one 860hp MTU diesel.

Close up of commander's cupola showing HOT ATGM launcher mount with missile installed. It's an inert round 'cause I'm doing it as an "on exercise" machine. I also have a .50 BMG with a shredder from the Trumpeter Abrams 5-in-1 kit to go on the other side. It's not quite done yet -- can't get the shredder's tie-back rods right. Note also the Wegmann smoke-grenade launchers.

Frontal aspect showing more of the awesome (and cheap!) Archer transfers. The license plate is on tinfoil so I could get the numbers on -- they're separate, and tiny -- and to give it a proper 3-D effect. The tow rings are metal ones from a Dragon "Early Tiger" kit. The headlights are from the R-G Marder 1A5 kit. Next up, the incredibly fiddly tactical markings. The letters for them are less than a millimeter high. :o
--Jeremy