IAI T-270 Drowr (Super Magister)

Started by Weaver, November 30, 2008, 01:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Okay, I really shouldn't be starting another one whilst I've got the Avro Atom (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21511.0.html) on the go, but this project ties in with my Trainers with Teeth entries as part of the backstory, so it's really does need doing now.

Basically, it's a swept-wing Magister as per a discussion here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21396.0.html

Magister body, G-91 wings and F-86D tailplanes, all from Airfix. Canopy from a 1/100th scale F-14 by some anonymous Chinese outfit.

Wheels will be UP because the G-91 wings are single thickness and have bays for legs but no wheels. Colour scheme will be Israeli display team, i.e. white with dayglow orange nose, wingtips and fin stripes.

First hurdle will be dealing with the Magister's thick, short wing root fairings. I can't just cut them off because they're hollow and that would lose me the wing slots, so I'll have to carefully trim the upper and lowe edges and then make good with filler.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Ed S

Looking good. Are you going to change the engines/exhausts to something newer and more powerful?

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

Quote from: Ed S on November 30, 2008, 01:44:44 PM
Looking good. Are you going to change the engines/exhausts to something newer and more powerful?

Ed

Yes and no - the engines are non-afterburning J-85s for LOTS more thrust. However, if you look at the T-37 to A-37 evolution you can see that J-85-17As slot straight in place of J-69s, which are licence-built Marbores, so there's no actual need to change the external lines of the model.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

The Rat

Lookin' sweet, and waaaay better than the original bird!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rafael

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

ChernayaAkula

Damn, that looks sleek! Very nice!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

BlackOps

This has got a great shape to it! I'm diggin' it quite a bit  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Mossie

Super Maggie!

Quote from: Weaver on September 04, 2008, 01:23:08 PM

Please note that I do NOT intend to build this model: I really like the credibility of the background story for my Magister project, and a swept wing conversion would be too radical. If someone else wants to do it though, feel free: I'd love to see the finished result.

Eat those words!!! ;D ;D ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on December 01, 2008, 06:03:30 AM
Super Maggie!

Quote from: Weaver on September 04, 2008, 01:23:08 PM

Please note that I do NOT intend to build this model: I really like the credibility of the background story for my Magister project, and a swept wing conversion would be too radical. If someone else wants to do it though, feel free: I'd love to see the finished result.

Eat those words!!! ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, I know..... :rolleyes:

My Excuse: the more I thought about it, the more I could see the Swept-wing Magister being part of that background story....

- Indiana Jones '

Mossie

I've got to admit, when I first saw that post my thought was; 'Yeah, right, I bet he'll build it'!!!
:drink: :drink: :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

Sweeeet! Cute little model

By the way...

http://www.aviafrance.com/9656.htm

Fouga 90, 1977...  -_-
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

You'll have missed this thread while you've been away Archie, I'm sure it'll benefit from your input!
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21396.0.html

sotoolslinger

Very cool looking aeroplane. Of course everyone knows v tails make a plane 1000 % cooler ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Slight progress: slimmer wing root on one side (Mouth, say hello to Heart, Heart, this is Mouth.....), and a canopy that sort of fits. It's slightly further forwards too, since this makes it match up to the seats better. The GIB is still going to keep thinking he's in the back of a Porsche 911 though....

Ahh, the joys of "constant scale". The red guy is the pilot of an Airfix Hawk, and the silver guy is his 12 year old nephew who flies Magisters........ :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones '

chrisonord

wow, its Douglas Badder in 1/72nd scale.and his out of scale Chinese made counter part!!!!
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!