3D printed, 1/350 scale C-57D

Started by frank2056, November 29, 2008, 07:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

Forbidden Planet is one of my favorite movies. I had (and sold) the Polar Lights 1/72 scale C-57D kit because at almost 28" in diameter it was just too big for my place.
Instead, I used a scan of the blueprints for one of the original to make a 3D version in Rhino 3D. I then had it printed at Shapeways.
Here are the parts:

I used their SLS printer for the white bits and the Objet printer for the clear engine dome. The SLS printer produces a rough but very tough surface, the Objet produces a smoother and clear part. You can see the differences in the lower dome and footpad:

This means that the SLS parts would require quite a bit of PSR (mostly P) to smooth out; the Objet a bit less. The SLS printer is also limited to a 0.5mm minimum part or detail size, so that could be an issue with smaller or more detailed models.

Here's the C57 tacked together:

I'm redoing this model to make assembly easier, add the stairs and I'll have it printer in a higher/better resolution. It's not Scratchbuilding As We Know It, but pretty close. It's certainly not easier...

Frank

sotoolslinger

That has gone beyond cool into Holy S :o :blink: :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

cthulhu77

Ed S

Ain't technology grand.  Looks good.  I am curious how the plastic these are made of reacts with glues and paints.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

frank2056

Quote from: Ed S on November 30, 2008, 11:06:00 AM
Ain't technology grand.  Looks good.  I am curious how the plastic these are made of reacts with glues and paints.

Thanks for all the comments!

The white stuff is some sort of nylon, so I think only CA or epoxies would work - almost any sort of paint would stick to it, though. The clear part is acrylic.

One "interesting" tidbit - these parts, or a higher resolution version - have a form of built-in "copy protection". Since the un-worked surface is very rough at the almost microscopic level,  just trying to duplicate the parts in a rubber mold will cause the rubber to stick like glue to the parts! The parts have to be primed and a mold release used before pouring the rubber.

And here's a render of the original model; you can see that it's smooth:

4D

Quote from: frank2056 on November 29, 2008, 07:30:18 PM
Forbidden Planet is one of my favorite movies. I had (and sold) the Polar Lights 1/72 scale C-57D kit because at almost 28" in diameter it was just too big for my place. ...Frank
I know this is aver old thread but i know exactly what Frank means. I have this monster and I want to put it on a diarama ... one day, but at the momnet it has to stand propped up against furniture!  :banghead:

Hobbes

Interesting. The 3D printing process fascinates me, but having to learn to draw in a 3D CAD program is a big hurdle.