Russian vehicle WHIF

Started by General Zod, November 24, 2008, 10:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Zod

Apologies  if this was ever posted before

T44
That tank was actually made However it had teething problems Engine/transmission if I remember right There were two versions
85mm
100mm The hull looked somewhat like a T54/T55 The turret resembled the T34/85 somewhat It's a shame the Russians weren't able to work the bugs out of it for the war The 100mm turret would have been great

During the war,they made an ISU152/1 They took one ISU152,a 152mm howitzer on the Stalin tank,and rearmed it with a real long 152mm barrel It was designed to battle tanks like the King Tiger However,the KT was a rare beast,plus the long barrel on it was a liability because the fighting compartment was in the front

PST Models ISU=152
Now if the Russians would have moved the fighting compartment to the rear,I think it would have been a better design That would have been one awesome SP gun :thumbsup:

***edited to add link to the page and the image to the topic***
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

Just call me Ray

Quote from: General Zod on November 24, 2008, 10:42:46 AM
T44
That tank was actually made However it had teething problems Engine/transmission if I remember right There were two versions
85mm
100mm The hull looked somewhat like a T54/T55 The turret resembled the T34/85 somewhat It's a shame the Russians weren't able to work the bugs out of it for the war The 100mm turret would have been great

The T-44 did end up seeing at least some limited service in WWII, not to mention it was developed into the highly successful T-54/55 series.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

General Zod

Just curious to see if a Russian T34 tank would look good with a 122mm short barreled howitzer Squadron mail order is having a sale on some 1/48 Hobby Boss tank kits One of the sale items is a T34/85 I am thinking of putting a short barrel 122mm howitzer on it

It would be used as an infantry support vehicle The Russians had an SU 122 based on the T34 But that was an SP mount,no turret

Somewhat realistic or not?
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

ChernayaAkula

Very realistic, actually. The Egyptians used T-34s with turrets equipped with D-30 122mm guns. CLICKY.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on December 02, 2008, 04:26:34 PMVery realistic, actually. The Egyptians used T-34s with turrets equipped with D-30 122mm guns. CLICKY.
Chad is referring to the 122mm howitzer that was mounted on the SU-122 which has significantly shorter barrel. 

How about a T-54/T-55 or T-62 with that same short barrel 122mm howitzer?  It would be ideal for combat operations in urban areas where the long barrel of the standard main gun would be in the way. 

I recall seeing an image in the old Soldier of (mis)Fortune periodical of such a vehicle that was destroyed in Afghanistan back when the Russians tried to tame the locals and suffered dearly for it.  There is also some mention of a 122mm howitzer equipped version on the JED Site
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

dy031101

During the Yugoslav Wars some T-55 hulls were modified to accept turrets taken from M18 Hellcat tank destroyers.

Since the various waring parties also have M36 Jackson tank destroyers, perhaps a hybrid of T-54/55 hulls and the M36's 90mm-gun turrets wouldn't have been so out-of-place, either?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

General Zod

Quote from: dy031101 on December 03, 2008, 08:07:32 AM
During the Yugoslav Wars some T-55 hulls were modified to accept turrets taken from M18 Hellcat tank destroyers.

Since the various waring parties also have M36 Jackson tank destroyers, perhaps a hybrid of T-54/55 hulls and the M36's 90mm-gun turrets wouldn't have been so out-of-place, either?

I would think a 90mm turret would have been a better choice  :thumbsup:
Death before decaf
Chad