MIG 19 in Thai markings

Started by Allan, January 08, 2004, 08:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Hi all and Happy New Year,
I've  started on a pretty lousy MIG 19 kit in 1/72 scale and thought I might perk it up with Thai markings and a wild color scheme.
Are there any Thai national markings and/or Thai Airlines markings suitable for 1/72 scale available out there that someone doesn't need? The WW2 white elelphant markings would be great, but really, anything would be gratefully accepted, along with suggested color shemes as well.
Cheers to all from Allan in Canberra
:ar:
:zzz:

Captain Canada

Are those the starry kinda things on blue backgrounds ? I think I have some for a flying boxcar, but they may be a tad big ?

I'll check when I get home !

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

This might do you

Its a Hi-Decals sheet for the F-86 with Thai airforce decals, should be just right for a Mig-19

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

lancer

Toad,
the starry kinda things on the blue background are Chinese nationalist / Tiwanese markings. I just used some on one of my Airfix group build kits. :)  :)

Allan, just out of interest, what kit of the Mig 19 are you building. I've got a Bilek one in the pile ready to go and it looks pretty good.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

Doe any of the many Harrier kits have Thai markings?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Geoff_B

QuoteDoe any of the many Harrier kits have Thai markings?

Hi Nev

Yes but the 1/24 Airfix GR-3 might be a bit overscale , although i think somebody did a decal sheet with them on in a smaller scale. The other problem being as that they would be Thai Navy as well !!!

Thor B)  

Captain Canada

I think that Do228 that Ollies planning on buying comes with RoThai Navy markings ?

Just a thought.......... :)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Shasper

I've got a pic (on the 'puter at work, darn  :angry: ) that's got a F-20 in a nice dk ghost gray/ north sea blue/ euro 1 green ( :unsure: I cant remember the exact colors, I dig it up on Mon.) camo & Thai markings.

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Ollie

No Thai markings in my Do 228, only Kraut crosses.

:wub:  :D  B)  :P  

Allan

Message to Lancer and all,
I'll find out tonight the manufacturer of the MIG 19. It's in hardish white plastic, but the fit isn't too bad. My first idea was to give it Ernst Udet's markings and claim that he was a Soviet sleeper spy who faked his suicide and escaped to Russia with Lo Zink. Candy stripes on the wings would look great! "Du doch nicht" on the tailplane.
Perhaps I'll give Udet's markings to my Hasegawa 1/72 MIG 17, but I have that Vietnamese ace's markings for that one.
I might put a 1/48 scale FW190 propeller and spinner in the nose air intake and give it my 1/72 Kyushu Shinden undercarriage. Maybe the Shiden prop instead of the FW one.
Cheers from Canberra,
Allan

Shasper

Here's that F-20 pic I promised
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

lancer

Hi Allan,
Thanks for the info. From the description your kit sounds like a KOPRO (formerly known as KP) from the Czech Republic. I've got one of thier SU25's. Nice little kit, but bloody awfull decals...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Allan

Hi Lancer,
Yes, that's the one. The cockpit is virtually detail free, but that isn't really a problem with what ifing because the color scheme and additions usually distract the viewer from nonexistent cockpit detail. I'll also forget about some of the smaller air scoops.
Maybe I'll put the Shinden prop on the nose, you know the one with about 6 blades? I loved the model with the ram jets on the wings tips-the Me109- that recently appeared on this site, so might cannabilize some rocket tubes from a 1/48 Me 109 to do the same with the MIG 19.
My wife has asked me to put either Thai national markings on the thing or a Thai International Airlines decal. Both seem to be hard to find.
Cheers,
Allan

Geoff_B

QuoteMy wife has asked me to put either Thai national markings

Hi Allan

As i sadi Hi-Decal line do the Thai airforce decals for an F-86, and at the show i manged to pick you up a set if you want it ?

Hi-Decal Thai F-86

Just send us a PM with your details if you want it

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

Allan

Hi Geoff/Thorvic,
It would be great if you could spare me the Thai national markings (roundels and flag), including the tiger, from that sheet, but only if you don't mind their ending up on a what iffer. I won't really need any of the numbers and small stencils.
And what can I do for you in exchange? I have masses of Luftwaffe decals in 72 and 48 scale, so can I help there?
Please E-mail me on barkhorn@hotmail.com so we can talk more about this.
Best regards from Allan
B)