SAR B-66K

Started by MartG, November 16, 2008, 05:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

In the late '60s RAF aircraft were routinely operating far out over the North Sea, bringing the risk of pilots being forced to ditch, there was a need for an aircraft capable of carrying out search duties at long range. With the existing Nimrod fleet already heavily comitted elsewhere, proposals from various manufacturers were solicited. Due to limited budget, price was a major factor in the selection, so rather than opt for newly built aircraft the eventual choice was for ex-USAF B-66 bombers, refitted with TF34 engines ( two of which can be shut down in flight to save fuel ).

Italeri B-66 kit, with engines from a couple of S-3 Vikings

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Jeffry Fontaine

That looks quite impressive and similar to an idea I had for a four engine S-3 Viking.  Now that I see the B-66 with this set up it validates my four engine Viking idea. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Brian da Basher

Sharp as a tack, Mart! The four engines and the paint scheme really make this beauty!

Outstanding!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Great idea you've come up with, MartG, which is making my head spin towards a series of other ideas based on a B-66:
- Looks like it could make a good cargo airplane (scaleOrama'd and with a ramp in the back);
- Props for a four engined commuter civilian carrier (like a Dash-7);
- And, of course, both of the above but with the beloved T-Tail   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Beauty ! Now that thing is a stunner.....great job. Sure changes the look of the old bird, eh ? Love the last pic, better light really shows her off.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

devil505

WOW!
That finish will surely make it standout on the shelf
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory..Lasts forever.

GTX

Quote from: devil505 on November 16, 2008, 09:08:37 AM
WOW!
That finish will surely make it standout on the shelf

What he said!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Captain Canada

I'm having another look and commenting again, as I like like this one so much !

Keep 'em coming !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

The four engine idea is a stroke of genius, doesn't look out of place at all, love it   :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike