DEADLY SKIES HANGAR - Jets with crazy paint jobs.

Started by Benjo, November 12, 2008, 03:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjo

Hey guys n girls,
I have too many projects, this is another one. its come to a halt as i need to airbrush an artwork on the tail and add a lot of text, somehow.... the problem is, the text is in white. we all know you cant print white on a normal printer. not sure how to get out of this one. So its been on hold, and in storage for a while.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!
BTW, i changed the topic for all to use to post thier Deadly Skies builds in here. Thats if anyone joins me!
This game is also known as Force Delta or something like that, in the US.
Being creative can be a gift - And a curse...

sotoolslinger

Hey Benny  ;D That is another superior build. Man I am glad you are here. But look this is whiffing. Just cheat your script you need. Print it in yellow or red  or something just finish it. It's too dang good to sit unfinished...... staring reproachfully at you from the zombie yard. :wub: :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Print the text in very pale grey?

Lovely paint job..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

Print it with a thin outline?  If you outline the letters, it should be fine.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

illithid00

Gorgeous MiG! Could you print the letters in a different color and use that to cut a mask and airbrush the text?

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Benjo

Quote from: illithid00 on November 12, 2008, 10:21:20 AM
Gorgeous MiG! Could you print the letters in a different color and use that to cut a mask and airbrush the text?

Now, thats a great idea. It would take ages, but it is actually possible....

!!!!!!!!!

MartG

Do Letraset do rub-on letters the font you need ?
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

John Howling Mouse

Hi Benjo,
Might be too late for your model but, for future reference, what I do when I need white letters and similar home-printed decals against a painted background is:
1. Paint the model white for the background you need.
2. Create your white-lettered decal on your PC by re-creating your colored paint scheme around the white letters.  I feather out the colors randomly around the outer edges, away from the letter's edges.
3. Apply your printed decals (the "white" letters will of course be clear) over the painted white background areas on the model.
4. Blend in your paint scheme around the lettered decals to match, as closely as possible, the colors you printed on the decal (not the other way around or you'll go crazy trying to get a printed decal to match the paint).  I start with a cheap Testors narrow brush for the initial blend. Once dry, you can mask using Blu-Tac or similar for a feathered edge and airbrush the rest of your model the way you normally would.

HTH
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Nice one. I've oft thought we should do a GB for that series.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Benjo

Quote from: MartG on November 16, 2008, 05:13:37 AM
Do Letraset do rub-on letters the font you need ?

I want some rub on letters actually, i have some that are close enough, but for some dumb stupid reason it doesnt have the whole alfabet.

letreaset is the brand hey? ill look into it.

Benjo

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on November 16, 2008, 07:30:04 AM
Hi Benjo,
Might be too late for your model but, for future reference, what I do when I need white letters and similar home-printed decals against a painted background is:
1. Paint the model white for the background you need.
2. Create your white-lettered decal on your PC by re-creating your colored paint scheme around the white letters.  I feather out the colors randomly around the outer edges, away from the letter's edges.
3. Apply your printed decals (the "white" letters will of course be clear) over the painted white background areas on the model.
4. Blend in your paint scheme around the lettered decals to match, as closely as possible, the colors you printed on the decal (not the other way around or you'll go crazy trying to get a printed decal to match the paint).  I start with a cheap Testors narrow brush for the initial blend. Once dry, you can mask using Blu-Tac or similar for a feathered edge and airbrush the rest of your model the way you normally would.

HTH

NO thats an excellent idea!
Unfortunately for me youre right, its too late for that. This is one of those models that i didnt really plan i just went as it goes... pausing the game ect ect. i thought about the text last hehe... ive learnt my lesson.