F3D-4 Skyknight

Started by MartG, November 10, 2008, 11:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

When Douglas were assigned the contract for the F6D Missileer, it was decided that an airborne testbed for the weapon system would be useful, so an F3D-2 was modified to carry a pair of Bendix AAM-N-10 Eagle missiles along with a modified radar giving compatibility with the new missile. The additional electronics required for the radar meant that the original gun armament had to be removed to provide space.

By the time the aircraft was ready to fly ( problems with the radar caused nearly 20 months of delay ) the Missileer programme had been terminated, as had the eagle missile. However it was decided to press on with the F3D-4, but carrying the AIM-47 Falcon, as a complement to the Air Force's YF-12 programme. A number of succesful test firings were completed, and serious consideration was given to a Douglas proposal to put the F3D-4 into production as a cut price Missileer, but the same concerns that killed the F6D were raised, and coupled with the fact that the F3D-4 could only carry two of the big Falcons saw the proposal declined.

Matchbox F3D-2, missiles from an Italeri YF-12A. Camera flash give the impression in some of the pics that the colour is a lighter blue than is actually the case - really it is quite dark blue  :huh:

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

van883

SPINNERS

Cracking! And I quite like that 'flash' blue!

jorel62

Ed S

Nice WHIF.  Simple, effective, believable and well done.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

BlackOps

I really like this one quite a bit. It's simple yet...AWESOME!  ;D
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Rat

That blue is positively electric! Nice job Martin, gives me the urge to pull mine out of the stash. And I believe AnthonyP has one...?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

ysi_maniac

Lovely plane in that beautiful blue :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

It would be great to build planned swept wings version.
Will die without understanding this world.

noxioux