LVT, LVT(A), AMTRAC, and Alligator

Started by jcf, November 08, 2008, 01:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 08, 2008, 12:47:06 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 08, 2008, 12:09:42 AMHowzabout an amphibious version?

That works for me.  Odd that they did not consider adapting the turret to an existing amphibious vehicle but that can be the subject of another discussion on what to do with an AMTRAC...

Then howzabout an LTV (A) 1 with the turret of an M-24?  ;D

Jon

dy031101

Or the turret of M8A1 gun motor carriage, giving the vehicle the same firepower as the standard M4 Sherman.

The M24 turret instantly reminds me of the upgrade done on the Norweigian NM116 tank chasers- namely smoke grenade dischargers, night sight, and most obviously the 90mm gun...... the upgrade seems to have necessitate the removal of co-axial machine gun though.

But then of course, one can always go for a more modern turret that houses both the lightweight 90mm gun (either GIAT or Cockerill) and the co-axial MG.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Jeffry Fontaine

Twin 40mm cannon turret from the M19 or M42 on the LVT(A) to make an amphibious anti-aircraft gun.  The ride to the beach might be a bit wet but it would certainly put out some suppressive fire. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

PanzerWulff

How about a Caliopie mount for last minute prep fire as the amtracks are about to hit the beach with a mix of HE and WP smoke rockets
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

jcf

The French occasionally used LVT-4s with 40mm Bofors mounted in the cargo area as direct fire support weapons in their dinassaut units
in Vietnam in the early 50s.

Jon

jcf

French Alligators in Vietnam with 40mm Bofors and twin .50 MG.

Jon

Weaver

Question, if I may gents? What were the exhaust arrangements on the LVT-4 (front engine, rear ramp)?

The LVTs had an air-cooled radial engine mounted upright (i.e. crankshaft horizontal). On the LVT-1 and 2 it was at the back, and had it's own cooling air intakes on the top of the engine bay and, I presume, the exhaust run out somewhere aft as well.

The LVT-4 had the engine moved forward to allow a rear ramp. The engine now sat on the centreline behind the driver/bow-MG compartment, with a cramped passageway to either side of it. I presume that it drew cooling air through the open-topped passenger compartment, but where did the exhaust go? For the life of me, I can't see it on pictures and there aren't good cutaways on the web.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: Weaver on March 13, 2020, 05:06:32 AM
Question, if I may gents? What were the exhaust arrangements on the LVT-4 (front engine, rear ramp)?

The LVTs had an air-cooled radial engine mounted upright (i.e. crankshaft horizontal). On the LVT-1 and 2 it was at the back, and had it's own cooling air intakes on the top of the engine bay and, I presume, the exhaust run out somewhere aft as well.

The LVT-4 had the engine moved forward to allow a rear ramp. The engine now sat on the centreline behind the driver/bow-MG compartment, with a cramped passageway to either side of it. I presume that it drew cooling air through the open-topped passenger compartment, but where did the exhaust go? For the life of me, I can't see it on pictures and there aren't good cutaways on the web.

I don't know for certain (I can't find any decent references (for free), either) but the LVT-4 has two mesh covered vents under the superstructure, outboard of the engines, above the tracks which I think are probably the exhaust vents for the engine, as I can't think of anything else you'd want a grate-covered hole in that position for.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

crudebuteffective

The exhausts vented out above the tracks just behind the front bulk head line

If you you tube LVT4 you can see the exhaust smoke
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Weaver

Thanks Wombat & Crude; yes I think you're right. I can't find a vid that shows exhaust smoke clearly, but I can see smokey stains on some vehicles in that area, and like Wombat says, what the hell else are those two boxes for?

So if I want to put a roof and a turret on one, all I need to do is provide an air intake on the rear of the roof that allows air to flow into the troop compartment to feed the cooling fan, right? What I'm thinking of is a big M113-style hatch, raised up by a relatively small amount, because you also need to get out on the rear roof for mooring purposes.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

The South Koreans and Taiwanese put roofs and a MG turret on the rear of their LVTs.   They included a large hatch as well.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

From what I can see on line, the Taiwanese and South Korean vehicles were LVT-3Cs. The LVT-3 was developed by Borg Warner rather than FMC and had a number of differences, including a forward cab and twin V-8 engines in the sponsons. The -3C version added a roof, an extended bow and an MG turret. These were presumably transferred to Taiwan and South Korea when the USMC replaced them with LVTP-5s.

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Now I want to dig my model out and put a roof on it !

I remember seeing one of these beasts for the first time......huge !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 14, 2020, 07:45:34 AM
Now I want to dig my model out and put a roof on it !

I remember seeing one of these beasts for the first time......huge !

Yeah - 30 passengers in an LVT-4 and a 8-foot jump from the top to get out of an LVT-2...

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

The LVT(A)-4 is, basically, a roofed LVT-4.

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est