O

Cessna 185RG

Started by Ollie, January 05, 2004, 05:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

Hey-ho-hi!

The other, while chatting with our rezident hot-shot engineer, Evan, I told him about my idea of a retractable gear 185.  Now that would be slick I told him, and fast too, because it's narrower than a Cessna 210, the fastest Cessna piston single.  My Dad told me it would hit at least 200MPH without any other mod than putting the main gears inside!! :o  :o

But the best part was that Evan told me Cessna had plans for such a plane, althought different from what I had in mind.  He told me Cessna planned putting stub wings on each side and have the gears retract inward, very conventionnaly.  He aslo added that the struts would attach elsewhere, on the stub wings, I guess.  Please correct me if I'm wrong Evan!

Now, my plan is to use the same system as on a Cessna 172RG Cutlass, a 182RG or a Centurion.  Use tubular legs, not the blades as on a 185.  Make them retract rearward, they would end up under the passenger seat.  Make a permanent couch over this and it won't show in the cabin!   :D   It would weight not that much, and the 185 can carry near 1 800lbs on wheels, so weight is not an issue.  Put a turbo engine in it (TSIO-540), wing extensions with fuel tanks and you are set.  Oh yeah, remove any STOL kits and put gap seals on the flaps and ailerons.  Leave the tailwheel on for weight saving and shear good look!  If you want to make it retract, simplest plan is to have it swing forward, doing over 200 degrees before hidding in the fuselage, tyre forward of the stab.

Included are two images of one of our Cessna, modified with Photoshop to show it as a 185RG!!!  

Enjoy!!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Ollie

elmayerle

You've got the basic description of Cessna's study proposal correct, the stub wings would pick up where the main gear and struts do now and would provide a solid load path for the gear.  The new struts would tie in to the outboard ends of the stub wings.  For what you're proposing, I think I'd prefer using 206 wings rather than adding extensions to 185 wings.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Quoteadding extensions to 185 wings.
And gun pods and tip tanks and RATO assist and........

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

and Cessna 336/337 booms ? :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

(with rear access/door to justify booms...)

Ollie

I'm using the stock 185 wings with wing tip extensions for fuel since using 206 wings would necessitate too much certification work, even if they are almost the same.  Retracting the gear ends up like a STC, like putting a new set of floats on it.

No guys, no weapons on this one, it's a biz plane and no twin booms.  Get a 337 if you want those!

;)  

Tophe

Quoteno twin booms.  Get a 337 if you want those! ;)
Yes Ollie, and you were the one that presented here a 337 with rear engine replaced by a door (from Groen Brothers in Air International), and that was wonderful enough, thanks again. The Conroy Stolifter used the same 337 conversion (rear door instead of rear engine) but without becoming autogiro. A twin-boom 185 would not add much, you are right.  :)  

John Howling Mouse

Very nice but now you are challenged to build a model "in the round" as they say.

And, damn the aerodynamics, go T-Tail!!!
(you just KNEW that was coming----sorry).
;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ollie

Barry, you crazy dude!!  Right now, my main concern is ease of certification!  A T-Tail would mean certifications process almost like a new airplane...  Which equals to lots of money spent!!

:o  

elmayerle

QuoteBarry, you crazy dude!!  Right now, my main concern is ease of certification!  A T-Tail would mean certifications process almost like a new airplane...  Which equals to lots of money spent!!
Considering the age of the 185's certification, going to a T-tail would drastically increase the time and cash required for the certification process.  Mind you, just the retractable gear is going to require considerable amounts, probably including a new structural loads test, but not like what a really major change like a T-tail would run.

elmayerle

Quoteadding extensions to 185 wings.
And gun pods and tip tanks and RATO assist and........
Well, not the RATO units, but actually, that's closer to a hybrid U-17/Model 207 study Cessna did with a GTSIO520 under the cowl.  It was similar to a Turbo-Porter in concept.

joesus

Are you doing a model (scale? kit?), or a 1:1 flyer?

Ollie

Yeah, it would be long, but not as much as changing the wings and the T-Tail, etc...

No Joe, just a dream!  Albeit a very good looking one!

:wub:  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteAre you doing a model (scale? kit?), or a 1:1 flyer?
Yeah, exactly.  I thought we were talking scale MODEL, here!

In the "What If" world, you pay for anything to do with a/c recertification using only a box of Timbits as currency!
^_^  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.