Bell D2064 VTOL Transport in 1/350 scale

Started by frank2056, November 03, 2008, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I saw the cool pictures in this thread over at Secret Projects and decided to give it a go.

Looking at the 3 views, I noticed that the D2064 had a passing resemblance to the C-2 Grayhound. I grabbed one of teh Trumpeter 1/350 scale C-2s and compared it to the 3 view drawings. The fuselage width and back ramp area were almost identical, but the D2064 has a much deeper fuselage.

So I glued the two fuselage halves together, cut out a small section to make the length equal to the D2064, then cut it lengthwise. I used some 1/8" foamed vinyl board (it's very easy stuff to cut and sand, and glues well to plastic) and a sheet of 1mm plastic card to build up the fuselage.

Then with much sanding, I got the fuselage roughed out. After some more scratchbuilding (including making the cockpit out of Magicsculp) here's where it stands:

The black line is some Wave Black CA - first time I've used it. I'm going to use the engines and props from two Tamiya 1/350 planes; not at all like the drawings, but I'm going to make a "production" version, so I can fudge things a bit. The sponsons are bomb halves from a Matchbox 1/72 scale Me-262.

sotoolslinger

Well that is just really cool :mellow: :thumbsup: But if you were really good it would be in a smaller scale ;D :blink:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Rafael

A most remarkable model!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Finely and imaginatively crafted, Frank :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have it in the to-do list from a long time, and yours is certainly an inspiration.

Can't wait to see her finished

USMC?

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

frank2056

Quote from: Rafael on November 04, 2008, 03:34:40 AM

USMC?

Rafa

Yup! I was thinking either standard camo colors or grays. You would love this foamed/expanded vinyl stuff, Rafa - it's so easy to work with. The outer surface is very smooth and pretty hard, the interior is full of microscopic bubbles, but it sands easily and the heat from sanding closes off the bubbles. And it's cheap stuff.

Quote from: sotoolslinger
Well that is just really cool cool Thumbs Up But if you were really good it would be in a smaller scale

No, if I were really good it would be in a bigger scale! 1/144 or 1/72!

sequoiaranger

I have a set of punches for 1/350 instrument panel bezels if you need to borrow them!  :wacko:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

I do hope you're going to detail the u/c bays correctly........ :wacko:

Nice one - looks good!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

BlackOps

Cool project! Looks like your off to a great start  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Joe C-P

Great start! I'm looking forward to seeing it complete.  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Rafael

This is a build I am quickly getting fond of. Fist for the subject, and secondly, for your choice of materials. I have been looking for that kind of foam for a long time here in my country and apparently, nobody makes it/imports it. Is that Depron or something alike?

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

frank2056

I've made some progress on this model. The biggest problem so far has been the engine placement. The original design's turboprops placed the forward engine's exhaust only a few feet off the ground. I thought of redoing the engines and moving the jets to the fuselage - something like the Bell X-22:

Instead, I found that the props from an old DML 1/700 Soviet hovercraft set would be close enough to the original design. I'll go with those once I trim the props and engines.

In the meantime, here's the D2064 in SEA camo (with gray undersides - hard to see in this pic): The figure is in 1/400 but close enough to 1/350 scale for government work:

Still to do is add the engines and landing gear and print up the decals for the cockpit windows and markings.

Frank

John Howling Mouse

Nice work.  Heh, heh, I come here so I can feel more sane by comparison...!   :bow: :thumbsup: :lol:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

That is just entirely too cool :mellow: Now build it smaller :lol: :rolleyes:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Ed S

That is looking good.  A very nice paintjob. Especially in that scale.

Ed :cheers:
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

frank2056

I'm almost finished with this one. I made some decals and added the props and landing gear. I still need to give it a coat of flat paint and bring out some of the control surfaces on the tail. I'm not really pleased on how this one came out, but it'll do.

Side view:

Top view:

The figure is a 1/400 scale Preiser airline passenger figure. It's close enough to 1/350.

Here it is with a US quarter, for scale:

Frank

cthulhu77

Really nice scale model. That is going to set the standard for a number of aircraft carrier builds.