BAe P.1233 SABA (Small Agile Battlefield Aircraft)

Started by Rafael, October 30, 2008, 03:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Yes, I'm still trying to shake off the modeling slump I am/was. Then I found wood as a modeling media. And after making my Convair Charger, a couple scraps of wood whispered to me..."Hey, Rafa, there's a BAe P.1233 SABA inside us, carve it out...". Obeying the incessant attack of the voices, I took a saw and a knife and started carving my way into the little innocent looking wood block, and guess what I found......

More tomorrow...

Saludos,

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

WOW :wub:Your cardboard is going to get jealous of all these brilliant wooden creations :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

That is awesome, looks like it would have excellent endurance with those long wings  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

deathjester

Fantastic doesn't even begin to cover this little gem - my hat is truly off to you sir.  What colour scheme do you plan for this beauty?

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

Whoa! Rafa, that's really good.  I have a friend who would be very impressed with this, he started building wood models back in the late 30's and he's always telling me what 'real' model building is all about.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Amphion

Yeah back in the ol' days, before plastic was common, then wood/woodcarving was the way to go. Still is when your'e building ship models from scratch, unless the model is big enough for plank-on-frame.

What kind of wood do you use? I seem to remember that birch or lime was the prefferd choice.
Amphion

BlackOps

Rafa, your new wood medium really seems to be agreeing with you, some beautiful work!  :wub:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ed S

Looking good, Rafa.  I was wondering, are you using power tools or is all this wood working done with hand tools?

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

pyro-manic

Superb! :wub: I am in awe of people who can do things like this. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Rafael

Quote from: sotoolslinger on October 30, 2008, 04:01:15 PM
WOW :wub:Your cardboard is going to get jealous of all these brilliant wooden creations :bow:

Famous philosopher Ti Raven said in her words of wisdom: "Isn't wood just un- reconstituted paper?"

Quote from: deathjester on October 30, 2008, 05:08:02 PM
Fantastic doesn't even begin to cover this little gem - my hat is truly off to you sir.  What colour scheme do you plan for this beauty?
Thanks, Deathjester :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is going to be RAF.

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 31, 2008, 06:36:33 AM
Whoa! Rafa, that's really good.  I have a friend who would be very impressed with this, he started building wood models back in the late 30's and he's always telling me what 'real' model building is all about.

Well, I hope I last as long as that gentleman, and making models, too. But I have reached the conclusion that "real modeling" occurs when the modeler has fun, "building whatever he wants, the way he wants to"

Quote from: Amphion on October 31, 2008, 06:57:20 AM
What kind of wood do you use? I seem to remember that birch or lime was the prefferd choice.

I use pinewood. birch and lime are a little difficult to find here, specially in a city.

Quote from: Ed S on October 31, 2008, 09:05:15 AM
Looking good, Rafa.  I was wondering, are you using power tools or is all this wood working done with hand tools?

Ed
I am using a knife, a saw and a dremel (still have to find some more useful bits for that)

Thanks, my friends,

More to come.....

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Maverick

The SABA are some brilliant designs and so very well executed mi Pana.

Saludos,

Mav

Rafael

Thank you, my friends, this one has been fun so far

I already painted her. Made the props, the weapons stations and the canopy, which I messed up with paint :lol:

had to redo the canopy framing out of cardboard (Yum!!!)

made the props ouy of some scraps of plastic card

PSRed the whole thing

And painted her, making a pint mess on the canopy

Tomorrow, I will decal with RAF markings (hey, I'm decaling stuff now!!),  hang some ordnance and post the photos

Saludos,
Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER