Make it Easy to Remove Canopy Mask

Started by sequoiaranger, October 30, 2008, 08:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

I used to have a tough time UN-masking canopies after all the paint layers had adhered to the masking goo and dried thoroughly. The stuff adheres like a tight glove. It's like trying to get the shrink-wrapped cellophane off an audio CD. After all your fine work, you don't want to scrape or gouge the canopy trying to get the tight mask off. I tried something that has worked for me.

Before applying the masking goo, put a long piece of drafting tape on top of the canopy (or along the frame closest to the fuselage) and loop over for a "handle". Generously slop the masking medium over the tape and the rest of the canopy. When you are ready to remove the masking, you can pull up a portion of the masking with the tape without gouging or scraping. Then you work a little to lift the rest of the masking off, but the hardest part--the initial un-masking--is accomplished. Although I use a tweezers to get most of the rest of the mask off, I try to use a "duckbill" tweezers with a broad, flat grasping surface rather than a thin, sharp one (that tends to tear off minute pieces rather than pull up large pieces).

Even better is to put drafting tape all along the edge of the area to be masked (curved areas are difficult--best to use on straight edges), generously slop the mask onto the tape, and then peel off the tape all around the edge and the mask comes with it (usually!!).

Modest example  of the simplest way below.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

NARSES2

I've used that system with masking fluid and it works great, never thought of using it for tape - but then I cheat and use Eduard masks where ever possible  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jorel62

sequoiaranger

"Masking"--good subject for Halloween, eh?  ;D

>NARSES2:  I've used that system with masking fluid and it works great, never thought of using it for [with?] tape - but then I cheat and use Eduard masks where ever possible <

I've heard of those commercial masks but have never bought/used them. I thought they were only for larger-scale subjects (1/48+). Do they make Eduard masks for 1/72 subjects? I am not too familiar with these aftermarket masks; does each piece in between the canopy framing have to be applied individually and taken off individually? With a tweezers? If there are four models made of the subject (say...P-40's) and each model has a slightly different canopy, how does THAT work? Or do you have to select the model based on the Eduard canopy mask available?

In my case, with so many whifs with cuts, chops, combinations, and "homemade" canopies, I can't see that Eduard would have "my" mask commercially available.

>jorel62:  Thanks a lot..... what's ya making<

The example model with the tape on top of the canopy is my "A7K Jinpu-Kai", a larger and more powerful carrier-based  follow-on to the N1K2 Shiden-Kai. The whole story (so far--it's not finished yet) is in the "Current and finished projects" thread somewhere.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Mossie

Quote from: sequoiaranger on November 01, 2008, 08:51:51 AM
I've heard of those commercial masks but have never bought/used them. I thought they were only for larger-scale subjects (1/48+). Do they make Eduard masks for 1/72 subjects? I am not too familiar with these aftermarket masks; does each piece in between the canopy framing have to be applied individually and taken off individually? With a tweezers? If there are four models made of the subject (say...P-40's) and each model has a slightly different canopy, how does THAT work? Or do you have to select the model based on the Eduard canopy mask available?

In my case, with so many whifs with cuts, chops, combinations, and "homemade" canopies, I can't see that Eduard would have "my" mask commercially available.

Yeah, Eduard do litterally hundreds of masks in 1/72, they often cover the wheels as well as canopies.  I've not tried them myself yet (I should, as I'm terrible at canopy masking) but I've got a couple of sets.  You do apply each part individually & the instructions are quite clear.  You buy the sets for a specific variant, i.e. if you buy a set for a P-40E & you have a P-40M, they won't match.  Squadron stock plenty (search for "Aircraft Mask" or "Helicopter Mask", as well as Hannants here in the UK.  There are companies other than Eduard that do them, but they are the biggest manufacturer.  There are also wheel & marking masks available for armour in 1/35 & some in 1/48.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

As Mossie says Eduard do 100's in 1/72. They bring them out almost as soon as a kit is available and not only do they cover a particular model eg : P40E but a particular manufacturers version eg P40E Revell, P40E Hasagawa. You also get masks for landing lights and other clear parts etc if they are included in the kit.

Although a one off product you can use the mask backing after using the mask as a template to cut your own if you build in multiples  ;D

If getting Eduard masks them make sure you get the Kabuki (Yellow Tamiya type) tape ones not the old grey ones which are no where nearly as good.

I think the time is near when most large manufacturers will include masks as part of the kit. it adds very little to the cost.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.