Main Menu

Back from AB

Started by Captain Canada, October 22, 2008, 06:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Landing in Saskatoon, saw this old Friendship in the fire dump

All these old DC-8s or Fokkers or whatever. There were about a dozen more on the other side of the ramp as well.

Plus these two old girls. One looks like the old NRC bird, while the other was definately ex-CAF

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

On to Edmonton Intl.

Obligatory T-bird

CDN Herc over at Spar

RNZAF Herc on the other side of the hangar, in better light as well....

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

A cool looking Cessna

Somebody's BAe

One of the sexiest airliners ever with some equally cool markings

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Big fan of 737s, and Edmonton is always a good place to see lots of the old 'jet' version.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 22, 2008, 06:47:34 PMAll these old DC-8s or Fokkers or whatever. There were about a dozen more on the other side of the ramp as well.

Yup, F-28s. Ya might remember that the DC-8 had 4 wing-mounted engines? ;D (Yeah, I know it wuz a typo)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 22, 2008, 06:53:10 PM
Big fan of 737s, and Edmonton is always a good place to see lots of the old 'jet' version.

Note the gravel deflector on the nosewheel, and the fairing it slips into forward of the wheel well.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

I know....too cool ! And the jet engines !

:wub:

I was thinking DC-8 as in MD-80. Was it a DC-9 that looked like that ?

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

You really are the master of International Herc-spotting ain't ya?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

B777LR

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 22, 2008, 07:50:21 PM
I know....too cool ! And the jet engines !

I was thinking DC-8 as in MD-80. Was it a DC-9 that looked like that ?

:blink:

DC-8 = DC-8 = 4 wingmounted engines, looks like a 707

DC-9 = MD-80 = MD-90 = 717 = ARJ-21 = 2 tail mounted engines, looks like a BAC 1-11/Fokker 28/70/100/BAC 3-11

kitnut617

I flew in one of those Canadian North anti-gravel fitted 737 when I went to the Ekati diamond mine Todd, to measure up for a job I was designing.  When I was told that I was being flown into a diamond mine not far from the artic circle I had imagined I was going in some neat little bush plane, imagine my surprise when we all got onto one of these to go to here, that's a gravel runway you can see.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=64.700793,-110.627174&spn=0.055753,0.176125&t=h&z=13

This mine is huge and employ about 2500 people out there 24-7, shifts are flown in and out on these 737's all year, in the summer months it's the only way in as there's no road to it
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

B777LR

Interesting thing with that first 737-200 pic, is that the eyebrow windows have been removed :thumbsup: I only thought they did that on classics and NGs :o

kitnut617

Quote from: B777LR on October 23, 2008, 10:56:49 AM
Interesting thing with that first 737-200 pic, is that the eyebrow windows have been removed :thumbsup: I only thought they did that on classics and NGs :o

Not sure if it's the same over on your side Thomas, up in the northern end of Norway, but in the NorthWest Territories a lot of really old but useful aircraft are used, the day I was waiting for my connection on one of these 737's at Yellowknife Airport I was watching DC-7's (probable a DC-6 thrown in there to) and DC-3's, even a Curtiss Commando, coming and going to & from outlying mine sites.  There were a couple of 737's pulling up every hour or so, to the next hanger to the one which I was waiting in,  that had been outfitted as pure cargo haulers, the stuff they were shoving into them was amazing, everything was getting put in them, including the kitchen sink.  They had what looked like the same cargo door as what C-135's have.  I was there in May and the ice road had just been closed for the summer season and aircraft are the only way to get about up there.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Quote from: nev on October 23, 2008, 08:45:38 AM
You really are the master of International Herc-spotting ain't ya?

Ya, they do seem to follow me !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Thanks for clearing that up, Thomas !

And nice work, Robert. I was thinking while I heard the bording call for the three territories in one flight. How cool would that be ? It's also funny to see the take-off roll of the old jets vs. the new fans. I swear, I could hang around that airport all day. Seen some really cool things there throughout the years....all the US and CDN stuff for the QC ice storm, oldies like you were talking about, old Herc freighters, lots of Daks and Twotters.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

upnorth

Oh man that takes me back to growing up in Edmonton!

I'll have to dig up some pics I took at Edmonton's municipal airport.

I remember watching the long pod 737, BAe 146, Jetstream 31 and Dash 8 all operating out of the Municipal under Canadian Airlines, Time Air and Air BC banners and the odd Herc coming in there too. Things got even more interesting when the Alberta Aviation Museum opened up their facility on Kingsway Avenue.

If I can scrounge up a few of the old pics I'll post them.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/