Horten Ho-229 V7 Nachtjager

Started by gengriz, October 10, 2008, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gengriz

The PM kit - out the box.

Not a WHIF in as far as it actually flew in several single seater forms, but this 2 seater variant didn't actually get off the ground (opinions vary on whether it was actually built - A V7 did exist and was destroyed by advancing US troops, but some sources say this V7 was the definitive single seater fighter prototype, not the 2-seater).

ysi_maniac

That is not a good kit but you got something with it :thumbsup: :wub: :wub:

BTW: What about a tailed version? :wacko: :unsure:
Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

gengriz

Thanks folks.  Its 1/72.   Not the greatest of kits; detail is pretty much non-existent and what there is is questionable, but it fits together nicely (all 16 parts of it) and looks a bit different.

I am still working on how to achieve some flexible (i.e unbreakable) FuG Yagi arrays - was thinking along the lines of stiff garden netting !

p.s. i understand that the tailed version was known as the DH 108 Swallow  :mellow:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

kitbasher

Quote from: gengriz on October 10, 2008, 03:13:41 PM
p.s. i understand that the tailed version was known as the DH 108 Swallow  :mellow:
Sorry, old bean, but the DH108 was an original design completely unrelated to the Horten.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH_108 and you you'll notice the vast differences and the family resemblence to the Vampire.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

gengriz

Thanks Kitbasher - I was being trying to be provocative ! -

The DH108 fuselage was indeed based on the Vampire, but the wing profile (e.g sweepback) and aerofoil sections owed a lot to German WW2 research, particularly the Me163, which was designed by Alexander Lippisch.

Lippisch started his career as a tailless glider designer in Germany, as did the Horten brothers - the Ho-229 contract was won in competition against an equally radical Lippisch design and the need for a fin/rudder was the main difference in approach between the Hortens & Lippisch. 

Hence, arguably, the DH108 is a tailed Horten.   :wacko:

Weaver

Quote from: gengriz on October 10, 2008, 03:13:41 PM
Thanks folks.  Its 1/72.   Not the greatest of kits; detail is pretty much non-existent and what there is is questionable, but it fits together nicely (all 16 parts of it) and looks a bit different.

I am still working on how to achieve some flexible (i.e unbreakable) FuG Yagi arrays - was thinking along the lines of stiff garden netting !

Doesn't qualify as unbreakable, but if you want some free FuG Yagis, get yourself any of the Smer Me-262 day fighter kits: they have the aerials from the nightfighter kits on the same sprues, so you can nick them and still have a perfectly good 262 kit...  :mellow: Unfortunately, they also have the two-seat cockpit tub from the nightfighters as well, which, contrary to what the kit designers thought, does NOT fit in the dayfighter fuselage unless you cut the back end of it off..... :banghead: :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

Very impressive, Gengriz! I especially like your paintwork.

I'm already looking forward to seeing your next project!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher