Main Menu

RAN FAA Museum

Started by GTX, October 03, 2008, 11:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi guys,

Sometimes I have the best luck with my job.  For instance, earlier this week I had to go to HMAS Albatross for a number of meetings.  I got there a little early and was looking to kill some time - what do I all of a sudden find:  The RAN FAA Museum!  Sorry for the poor quality pics, all I had was my mobile phone.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

GTX

GTX

GTX

Ok finished now:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

I've also decided that the RAN's old Blue/White scheme looks great - especially on fixed wing aircraft like the Macchi!

Regards,

Greg

sequoiaranger

The Fairey Firefly (Mk VI?) in your pics was a little fuzzy, but I saw the "K" on the tail.

Just today at Miramar, California, was a flying Firefly--it had an "K" on the tail, too, and painted similarly. Same Plane?? Here's the pic.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Maverick

Some beautiful birds Greg, thanks for sharing.  The Rhodie Hunter was a surprise to be sure!

Sequoia, the RAN's Fireflies were FR.5s same as the Brits.  We didn't differentiate between marks at that stage (eg: Korean War).  The "K" tailcode wasn't an individual identifier, it was instead the ship identifier for HMAS Sydney.  All aircraft flying off Sydney would have that K on their tail (you'll notice the Sea Fury also sports the K), the difference would be serials and fuselage codes that would identify individual aircraft.

Regards,

Mav

sequoiaranger

>Sequoia, the RAN's Fireflies were FR.5s same as the Brits.  We didn't differentiate between marks at that stage (eg: Korean War).<

The Firefly at Miramar was labeled a Mk. VI, whether an error or not.

>The "K" tailcode wasn't an individual identifier, it was instead the ship identifier for HMAS Sydney.  All aircraft flying off Sydney would have that K on their tail (you'll notice the Sea Fury also sports the K), the difference would be serials and fuselage codes that would identify individual aircraft.<

When I looked back at the RAN Firefly in the collection, under the horizontal stabilizer there was some writing, most likely "RAN (+serial)". Looking at all the other Aussie Naval aircraft in the collection, I couldn't find any that had "Royal Navy" and a serial on the side (well, DUH---but stay with me here). The Miramar Firefly DEFINITELY had "Royal Navy" and a serial on the fuselage, despite the markings of HMAS Sydney. So I presume the Firefly owner liked the RAN colors and markings and painted his Firefly to match, despite its RN origins.

Regardless, it was a beautiful sight!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Maverick

Sequoia,

Definitely sounds like a bit of artistic licence all round.

The scheme the RAN Fireflies wore during Korean ops was pretty close, if not the same, to the contemporary FAA scheme anyway.  To add a "ROYAL NAVY" serial with a "K" tailcode is definitely an error.  As you noticed, RAN aircraft have a "RAN - Serial No" system, whilst RN FAA types have "ROYAL NAVY - Serial No.".  The tailcode ship identifier was an RN practice also used by the RAN, although "K" was definitely HMAS Sydney.

As for the label, I guess they were misinformed.

Either way, would have been nice to see her flying.

Regards,

Mav

Aussie747

Nice shots Mav Greg, being in Canberra I try to get down to Nowra every 12 months or so to take a peak. There is an airshow at the end of October, I can't make it this time but was at the last one about 12 months ago. Great day with all the metal in the air as will as those in the Museum. The gift shop is also great for the modeller.

Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

GTX

Quote from: Aussie747 on October 06, 2008, 12:01:24 AM
Nice shots Mav, being in Canberra I try to get down to Nowra every 12 months or so to take a peak. There is an airshow at the end of October, I can't make it this time but was at the last one about 12 months ago. Great day with all the metal in the air as will as those in the Museum. The gift shop is also great for the modeller.

Not to nitpick, but the shots were actually mine ;D

Regards,

Greg

Mossie

Nice pics Greg!  I'm a particular fan of the Bristol Sycamore, thanks for posting those.  Also, I spot three drones, I can name the Jindivik, but what is the one in front of the Jindi & the one suspended from the ceiling?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Scooterman

unlikeKansas

Quote from: Maverick on October 04, 2008, 03:58:04 PM
Sequoia,

Definitely sounds like a bit of artistic licence all round.

The scheme the RAN Fireflies wore during Korean ops was pretty close, if not the same, to the contemporary FAA scheme anyway.  To add a "ROYAL NAVY" serial with a "K" tailcode is definitely an error.  As you noticed, RAN aircraft have a "RAN - Serial No" system, whilst RN FAA types have "ROYAL NAVY - Serial No.".  The tailcode ship identifier was an RN practice also used by the RAN, although "K" was definitely HMAS Sydney.

As for the label, I guess they were misinformed.

Either way, would have been nice to see her flying.

Regards,

Mav

Mav, Sequoia,

The RAN had both FR5 and AS6 Fireflies before Korea. Only FR5's were sent to Korea as they were cannon armed and deemed more useful in Korea.

The squadrons sent to Korea replaced their AS6's with FR5's from squadrons remaining at home.

Once in Korea, attrition replacements were taken from Royal Navy stocks, so it is quite possible for an RN Firefly to be flying from HMAS Sydney, therefore carrying the K ship code whilst displaying RN serials.

This info from Stewart Wilson's Firefly, Sea Fury and Sea Venom in Australian Service and from the ADF Serials website. (http://www.adf-serials.com/) Firefly page.
INo trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.