DreamStar Aerospace Attack Plane

Started by Rafael, October 02, 2008, 06:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Well, everybody knows her as Aurora. :wub:

I'm bored with my modeling slump and decided to build something, for a change.

I modified the drawings to obtain my version, which will be a carrier based successor to the A-3 Whale in a future CV-X stealth carrier. Of course, Dreamstar will be stealthy, but by active means, because its shape and high temperatures attained during its hypersonic flights won't help.

Anyways, I "made" my plans from a 5-view of the presumed Aurora and pasted all the thing in my trusty old Powerpoint. Measured my desired fictional scale (lenght=25 meters, wingspan=13,35 meters and height=6,86 meters) so the CV-X will need highly ceilinged hangars. No Problem there.

My building material of choice is styrofoam, or packing foam, or whatever its name is, but it's foam. I cut it with a hot wire cutter fashioned by a friend and so far, has lived up to my expectations.

Enough talking, here's the WIP Photos:

The source

Sorry for the blurry photos, but my vision is still worse than this.
Here, the cross sections

Upper fuselage planform. Notice the cross section lines

Bottom Fuselage planform

How's it going

Saludos,

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

OH MAN  ;D :o this is going to be cooooool :mellow: :wub: :thumbsup: :bow: Grinning and rubbing hands together :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Jeffry Fontaine

Very impressive.  So what scale is this project?   I sure hope you got a good deal on putty. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Rafael

Thanks, Amigos!!!

Well, in my alternate Universe, the Dreamstar has all the measures I mentioned ((lenght=25 meters, wingspan=13,35 meters and height=6,86 meters) which I translated to 1/72, my scale of choice (hence the fictional size I mention in the previous post) and that translated into lenght=35 centimeters, wingspan=18,5 centimeters and height=9,53 centimeters)

As for Putty, I already have a can of grey, thick bondo to build up in layers overall, and then a tube of red bondo for finishing.

Enjoy!!!

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Captain Canada

Nice one, Rafa ! It's neat to see all the sexy shapes to that aeroplane. When you see the top view, it looks like a simple triangle !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

gooberliberation

================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Maverick

Hola Mi Pana,

As always, the scope of your vision and ambition leaves we mortals in awe!!

All hail the Scratchbuilding God of Venezuela.

Saludos

Mav

Ed S

Looking good.  And the tutorial makes it even nicer.  I appreciate seeing how you create these models from scratch.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

lancer

The master rides again! Go Captain Cardboard!!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Maverick on October 03, 2008, 05:13:53 AM
Hola Mi Pana,

As always, the scope of your vision and ambition leaves we mortals in awe!!

All hail the Scratchbuilding God of Venezuela.

Saludos

Mav

Absolutely agreed!
Is there anything that you cannot model with anything? :o :bow: :bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

I don't know - a Venezuelan building a hypersonic attack aircraft - I don't know if the USA can accept this ;D.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: lancer on October 03, 2008, 09:56:43 AMThe master rides again! Go Captain Cardboard!!!!

I think Rafael should be promoted from Captain Cardboard to Commander Cardboard.  Besides, there is another Captain Cardboard out there in internet land and we should not try to confuse the two. 

So I say promote Rafael to Commander Cardboard !
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

frank2056

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on October 03, 2008, 01:56:02 PM
Quote from: lancer on October 03, 2008, 09:56:43 AMThe master rides again! Go Captain Cardboard!!!!

I think Rafael should be promoted from Captain Cardboard to Commander Cardboard.  Besides, there is another Captain Cardboard out there in internet land and we should not try to confuse the two. 

So I say promote Rafael to Commander Cardboard !

But why limit him only to cardboard! This amazing model has styrofoam and will have bondo... more of each than cardboard, i suspect.

Maybe we should promote him to General of the non Plastic Realm. Or Jefe Supremo of the Non Plastic.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Rafael on October 02, 2008, 06:22:36 PMI modified the drawings to obtain my version, which will be a carrier based successor to the A-3 Whale in a future CV-X stealth carrier. Of course, Dreamstar will be stealthy, but by active means, because its shape and high temperatures attained during its hypersonic flights won't help.

Commandante' Cartón,

Will you be featuring a weapons bay in this project?  Since you are describing this as an attack aircraft, I am curious where you would store the weapons during flight. 

Rafael

Quote from: GTX on October 03, 2008, 12:55:02 PM
I don't know - a Venezuelan building a hypersonic attack aircraft - I don't know if the USA can accept this ;D.

Regards,

Greg

Don't worry Greg. [conspiratorial tone on] Former President Jack Ryan and Pilot Agent Mitchell Gant engineered my defection and extraction from Venezuela. It may appear I'm in Caracas, but I really am down deep in Nevada, where they put me in the custody of late Gen. Brad Elliot and Gen. Patrick McLanahan[conspiratorial tone off] :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks amigos!!!!

Hey, I'm now Comandante Cartón!!! Thanks for the promotion, ATTEEEEENNN-HUTTTT!!!! :tank:

The DreamStar has space for two side-mounted weapons bays. Both a little bigger than the F-22's after which they are fashioned

Well, I have a lot of modeling capital invested in futures in this project. my goals are:

1- Complete 1 DreamStar
2- If (1) can be achieved, Mold and Cast another DreamStar(s) Possibly shell models.
3- If (2) can be achieved, I would like to present one DreamStar in flight, and one DreamStar with opened Landing gear bays and one Weps Bay opened, too. And an arresting hook extended from the rear of the ScramJet-PD Engine.

Ambitious, but with an imaginary plane, I believe it can be done.

Stay tuned, I'm finishing cutting the upper fuselage. Being made out of foam, it weighs next to nothing.

Saludos,
Rafa

1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER