Corvette Nomad, et. al.

Started by sequoiaranger, September 20, 2008, 10:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

I used to do many custom HO vehicles for my brother's train layout (sadly, he never actually built the layout, but accumulated all the stuff necessary). I wish I had taken pictures of them---some of them were clever and intricate.

The "Corvette Nomad" is a real-life whif that GM made two or three of in 1954. The all-new Corvette had its debut in 1953, and GM was "testing the waters" in 1954 for a variant by showing it around their wildly popular "Motorama" exhibitions. It was the test-bed for the now-familiar Chevy station wagon "Nomad" that came out the next year (1955).

I have posted a few photos of my little car (being passed up by an old Volvo??), and then a photo of the original Motorama show car, then....a pic of an Chrysler Imperial LeBaron that I custom-built that has a penny by it for size comparison (of course the Corvette is even smaller!). When I picked up my photos from some drug store and looked at them in front of the clerk, he remarked, "You either make HUGE coins or really tiny models!"
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Brian da Basher

Those are some really cool Motor Trend-style shots there Sequoiaranger!

Where do you get those giant pennies from?
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Sauragnmon

Sweet work, man.  Real small scale.  There's one of the boys over at MWS that does 1/700 deck vehicles, too... I work in small scales, and curse building 1/700 aircraft, but gott in himmel, man.  That's some sweet detailing you did.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

puddingwrestler

Wow! HO scale customs! I can hardly ever get mine looking the way I want in 1/25!

Now I guess the challenge is to produce a Z scale customised motorbike ;D
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Sauragnmon

Heh.  That would be bloody interesting to see, a Z scale Custom chopper.  That would be definite kudos.  Forks made with 28ga wire, etc.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

BlackOps

Nicely done!  :thumbsup: I always wanted to set up a nice HO scale train set but have never had the space for it. I could see it becoming very addicting so it's probably better that I don't have the space.  :blink:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

noxioux

Beautiful work!  Amazing.

I don't know if too many people know this, but the Corvette was always used as sort of a testbed for new features and untested options.  I believe the 'vette had the first fuel injected motors, and the first V8 engines, etc. . .  They also did a later 2+2, for the very same reason, which helped open the doors for the F-body cars.

sequoiaranger

Thanks, all, for the kudos.

>Wow! HO scale customs! I can hardly ever get mine looking the way I want in 1/25!<

One "luxury" of the small scale is the ability to overlook so much detail. If you inspect the model closely (as if it WERE a 1/25), there are many "flaws".

>I believe the 'vette had the first fuel injected motors, and the first V8 engines, etc.<

Definitely NOT the first V-8 engines. Heck, the 1940 Lincoln had a V-12!! Ford made the first V-8's, I believe, in the early 1930's. They were flathead-valved, not overhead-valved like the '55 Chevy 265 that was the first CHEVY V-8. And certainly not the first fuel-injection motors. German aircraft in the 1930's had fuel-injection. Diesels are all fuel-injection. The '57 Chevy 283 was among the first fuel-injected AUTOMOTIVE gasoline engines for passenger cars, however.

I just found out that the show-car Corvette Nomads had no engines or drivetrain--they were merely shells and had to be pushed/towed to their display sites.  :huh:

P.S.--I made a stretch Cadillac limousine for my brother by cutting out the center section of a Caddie to add to another Caddie. With the remaining parts, I slapped them together for a shortened, '55 T-bird lookalike (large two-seater) and sent that to him along with the Brougham as a sort of joke. My brother was DELIGHTED, as (again for a Motorama concept car) GM had made, unbeknownst to me,  JUST such a vehicle---the Cadillac Le Mans. Some high muckety-muck in GM got to drive it as a "company car".
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Hobbes

Those are very good!

QuoteI believe the 'vette had the first fuel injected motors

No. The first fuel-injected petrol engine appeared in the first-generation Mercedes 300 SL.

Just call me Ray

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 21, 2008, 11:08:27 AM

I just found out that the show-car Corvette Nomads had no engines or drivetrain--they were merely shells and had to be pushed/towed to their display sites.  :huh:

If you think that's sad, most if not all of these shells were probably crushed when their purpose was done with  >:(

Anyway, excellent model! May I ask on what the alternative history of the automotive world if we ended up with this Nomad on our streets in '56 instead of the Bel Air-based one?
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on September 21, 2008, 01:14:03 PM
Those are very good!

QuoteI believe the 'vette had the first fuel injected motors

No. The first fuel-injected petrol engine appeared in the first-generation Mercedes 300 SL.

You forgot two modifiers : production and automobile   ;D

jon

puddingwrestler

Dunno who made the first V8, but not ford. Ford had the first affordable V8 in a mainstream family car. Previous to that, they were all in big expensive luxo barges.
The corvette injection - well, not the first injection, but the first offered by any of the 'big three' at any rate.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.