Spitfire sculduggery. decisions decisions.

Started by Jetfixer, September 20, 2008, 04:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetfixer

OK, I've dug out my Spitfire spares and I have a complete wing set from a MKV. A complete if somewhat roughly built MK1. Here's the choices. Two sets of wings gives me the option to do an Xwing spitfire. ("Rabbit leader, I'm going in") OR. adding the inner section of a pair of wings to the other giving an inverted gull wing, and that gived the almost obligatory option of adding spats similar to the Supermarine 224. This will give me the option of doing it silver with prewar markings. or early war cammo with black and white underside, OR something totally stupid and mental.

Over to you guys. what say ye?

Bestest.

G
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

The Rat

Quote from: Jetfixer on September 20, 2008, 04:47:50 AMTwo sets of wings gives me the option to do an Xwing spitfire. ("Rabbit leader, I'm going in")

Saw one just a few days ago and can't for the life of me remember where, this board or somewhere else. Looked damned cool.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ed S

I say go with the gull wings and spats.  Sounds like fun.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Jetfixer

SWEET, that decides it then, the gullwing and spats wins it.

Bestest.

G
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

Brian da Basher

With two pair of wings, you could always biplane it.

Oh the heresy!!!

:cheers:
Brian da Basher

puddingwrestler

Why stop at one heresy - A gullwing biplane! The spats are optional, but if you leave them off Brian won't like you anymore ;D
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

DaFROG

Was there not a biplane hurricane with a jettisonable upper wing intended for getting heavier loads off the ground, perhaps you could make a spitfire torpedo bomber along similar lines the top wing being jettisoned after torpedo launch to restore full spitfire type agility and speed...............
not sure where teh sapts would go on that though

puddingwrestler

I think there was some sort of plan to fit the HUrricane-stype jettisonable biplane upper wing to spitfires in real life... obviosouly dreamed up by some long-lost relative of mine in the air ministry (hey, it's possible! My Mum's family is English!)
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Mossie

Quote from: puddingwrestler on September 20, 2008, 02:16:14 PM
Why stop at one heresy - A gullwing biplane! The spats are optional, but if you leave them off Brian won't like you anymore ;D

Add a radial for real depravity.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

Sauragnmon

To hell with drop tanks and conformal tanks, we have lifting body tanks! Wonder why that didn't go further... Probably too much risk of something popping the tank and dousing the plane in burning fuel, or else the wing had a chance of taking off the tail when released...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

DaFROG

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 23, 2008, 09:23:32 AM
To hell with drop tanks and conformal tanks, we have lifting body tanks! Wonder why that didn't go further... Probably too much risk of something popping the tank and dousing the plane in burning fuel, or else the wing had a chance of taking off the tail when released...

The engineer in me says that it's probably pretty expensive and time consuming to make, dificult to install in the field and, if jettisoned over enemy teritory (or water) unrecoverable. I'd imagine it'd tie up resources noramlly used to build more aeroplanes as well wheras conventional drop tanks wouldn't. Correct me if i'm wrong but were'nt conventional drop tanks made of paper.
The whiffer in me says (beating the engineer over the head and muttering about killjoys) that he doesn't care and that the more improbable, unlikley and impractical something is the more reason to make a model of it :party:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland