Inspiration: Star Wars-style pod racers

Started by Hobbes, September 16, 2008, 07:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

On one of the recent events threads, I noticed a photo of a pod racer kit. This got me thinking; a pod racer would be relatively easy to build using leftover engines. The chariot is easy enough to scratchbuild.

The fun is in choosing the engines. Anything goes, from prop jobs to jets to rockets. I'm envisioning one using 4 Olympus (in Concorde nacelles), or for the true daredevil pilot, something with a single nacelle with a pusher prop.

B777LR

Radial engine with townend ring, 2 bladed prop, open cockpit and struts keeping it together. Thats what BdB loves... :wub:

Brian da Basher

You've got my number, Trip 7!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

puddingwrestler

You know a retro 30s pod racer with radials would be awesomely cool.
And then a Victorian steam punk version would also be awesome. Steam powered racing air-ships... mmmmm...

I may have to look into this.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Daryl J.

Now this is a seriously cool thread.   :wub: :wub: :wub:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   (Not to diminish any of the others, of course).

It might be hard to have Jennings put such a creation in Eastern Airlines livery, however.    LoL.

Daryl J., completely idealess at this point, but give me a bit.........................

Taiidantomcat

There was a video game that took place 10 years or so after Episode I and featured new racers along with Sebulba's new racer:

Sebulba's original pod was based off an A-10. and this carries that idea a step closer to the tank killer (you can see it a little better in the game though)

There were also a few concepts that didn't make it onto the big screen, this is a great idea the variations will be fun!

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

The cockpit section of a P-35 might be suitable to use for a pod, maybe the XF-85 too?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Gunbird

PanzerWulff

Quote from: Gunbird on September 29, 2008, 09:30:13 AM
GTX, what would you call that?
A Naboo P-38 it sort of reminds me of the Naboo starfighter
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Gunbird

Hmm, got something more intersting then that? Just finished one and about to paint it.

Mossie

There is a P-38 starfighter in the Starwars universe.  Full name is the Porax 38 used on Utapau:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

Mossie beat me to it, its also featured in the latest clone wars CG movie.

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

Ooohh, haven't seen that yet, got to watch it some time. :party:

Taiidantomcat