Grey Pride F-107

Started by Ed S, September 13, 2008, 07:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Ok, here's my entry into this GB.

(backstory)  After a successful test program, The USAF decided to put the F-107 into production.  At about the same time, a number of NATO air forces were looking for a new fighter to replace the various F-84's, F-86's, Hunters, etc. in service.  The biggest competitor to the F-107 in this competition was the F-104.  Eventually, the NATO forces decided that the F-107 was a better all around fighter than the F-104, and orders were placed.  During it's operational career, the F-107 proved it worth and flew combat missions in a number of conflicts, including Vietnam, Indo-Pakistan, and the Mid-east.  Although scheduled for replacement by the 1990's, some were still in service and saw action as part of coalition forces that flew in Desert Storm.  By this time, most of these had been given the basic grey camo pattern that had become the current fashion.

Here's the obligatory photo of the box and parts.  This is the Trumpeter 1/72 kit.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ed S

I'm making quick progress with this kit.  Just a few minor fit problems and a couple noticeable sink holes. A straight forward build, since I'm pretty much making it out-of-the-box.

Here is the model after PSR.

And here it is with a coat of primer.

You might notice that I decided to take the pitot tubes off the wing tips.  I knew I'd break them eventually and figured that they were there just for the prototype and not needed operationally.  I also preplaced the kit nose probe with a simpler and shorter version made with a sewing pin.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Taiidantomcat

Nice look, The shorter probe makes it more like a combat machine just as you intended. Any ordnance plans so far?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

The Rat

That aircraft is so erotic and exotic it makes me neurotic, keep 'er coming!  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ed S

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on September 25, 2008, 05:06:26 PM
Nice look, The shorter probe makes it more like a combat machine just as you intended. Any ordnance plans so far?

Right now, I'm thinking Mk20's and Mavericks.  Typical tank hunter during Desert Storm.

Ed

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Scooterman

Quote from: The Rat on September 25, 2008, 08:30:31 PM
That aircraft is so erotic and exotic it makes me neurotic,

Did you come up with that all by yourself???   ;D

The Rat

Quote from: Scooterman on September 26, 2008, 06:33:59 PM

Don't be too impressed, that's about as creative as I can get.  :lol:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Scooterman

Quote from: The Rat on September 26, 2008, 06:36:31 PM
Quote from: Scooterman on September 26, 2008, 06:33:59 PM

Don't be too impressed, that's about as creative as I can get.  :lol:
:bow: :bow:

Radish

Looking good.
I did a Vietnam RF-107C in SEA colours.

After seeing your grey one, I'm thinking again of an RF-107, perhaps using F-16 decals.
Great.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

BlackOps

Ed, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one progress more, I've really enjoyed your past work and this looks to be another sweet build :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ed S

I've made some progress on this one.  It's painted.  I basically used the same grays as the F-16.  I tried to keep the camo pattern similar as well.  I hope to get the decals done this weekend.

Ed

gooberliberation

I tell ya, hill2(is that what it's called?) has got to be one of the most underappreciated schemes ever. :thumbsup:
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland