Mosquito Miscelleany

Started by The Wooksta, September 03, 2008, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta

Deleted

cthulhu77

That is some serious surgery !!!!   :cheers:

sequoiaranger

This kind of mega-surgery must require some SERIOUS anesthetics. 

Not for the models, of course, FOR YOU!  :wacko:

You mentioned Lockheed landing gear for the Highball Sea Mossie. I will be building one someday. Did the Highball Sea Mossies actually have a noticeably different landing gear than "stock" Mossies?

Since you are on a Mossie binge, I would still like to see your proposed twin-Allison version with the A-36 engines, but the Centaurus-engined one looks pretty cool!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Aircav

The Radial Mosquito looks like it's wearing boxing gloves  ;D
Nice bit of conversion work.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Chap

Very nice work so far, I particularly like the Mosquito with the offset canopy.

~Steve

Brian da Basher

You've got some excellent Mossie projects in the works, Wooksta! I especially like your radial-engined version. Reminds me a bit of the Calquin.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

AeroplaneDriver

You've got me thinking about a Merlin-engined Beaufighter...

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Martin H

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on September 03, 2008, 02:44:28 PM
You've got me thinking about a Merlin-engined Beaufighter...

U mean u plan to build something real?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

puddingwrestler

Why stop at only one heresey? Give the radial mossie a twin tail! And floats! And... and.. and Spatted floats!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

sequoiaranger

Interesting---never before heard of the Calquin. I looked it up and the radials are "wussy" 1050 HP Pratt and Whitney's.  Just ONE Centaurus has as much HP.

Hmmmm--How would a SINGLE-engined Mossie look?? Plant a big R-4360 "cornrow" on its nose like a Skyraider, and load up those wings with ordnance!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 03, 2008, 05:31:30 PM
Interesting---never before heard of the Calquin. I looked it up and the radials are "wussy" 1050 HP Pratt and Whitney's.  Just ONE Centaurus has as much HP.

Hmmmm--How would a SINGLE-engined Mossie look?? Plant a big R-4360 "cornrow" on its nose like a Skyraider, and load up those wings with ordnance!

Look up the Namcu while you're at it: sort of Argie Hornet with six cannons and very pretty..... :wub:

Wooksta - that's an impressive stable of adventurous projects: I wouldn't dare start that many at once 'cos NONE of them would get done..... The offset-cockpit Mossie in particular is one of those "Doh! Why didn't I think of that?" ideas!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

Quote from: Aircav on September 03, 2008, 12:48:41 PM
The Radial Mosquito looks like it's wearing boxing gloves  ;D
Nice bit of conversion work.
Yes!!!!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 03, 2008, 03:10:26 PM
A Griffon Beaufighter with Shackleton engines and contraprops would look really cool.  Right, I'm copyrighting that one!  And I've got the relevent bits to hand.  I've got a Merlin Beaufighter together anyway.
I think there was at least one Griffon Beau built for tests in real life - recall seeing a pic somewhere recently (Aeroplane Monthly?) but not as butch-looking as one with Shack-style nacelles.  Sounds like something the ancient Airfix Beau could be used for?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on September 04, 2008, 04:28:19 AM

I think there was at least one Griffon Beau built for tests in real life - recall seeing a pic somewhere recently (Aeroplane Monthly?) but not as butch-looking as one with Shack-style nacelles.  Sounds like something the ancient Airfix Beau could be used for?

There's a photo of it in the Squadron 'Beaufighter in Action' book. The nacelles are more like those of a Firefly cowling, I've a 'The Aeroplane' cut-away drawing of the Firefly which calls it a 'power-egg' which is where I realized from a description I was given of the Tempest Mk.III (or was it the Mk.IV) that it was used on this aircraft too.  But a contra-prop would be neat to see on a Mossie.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike