Glenn's Current Modeling Projects

Started by Glenn, September 02, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

I don't know if a subject like this has been started, but these are photos of what I'm working on...over twelve months. This first shot is Huey, from 'Silent Running'. The model on top is 1/5th sc. and the other is full size. Construction is of MDF 3mm, and the 'nuts and bolts' along the lower ridge are resin.
This has taken me two years, to date...and has been shelved for 6 months.
Come on, show us all what you are doing!
Glenn

Weaver

Sweet idea: you could keep your kids in it, feed then through the front slot, and move them up from Huey to Dewey to Lewey as they grew (or whatever order of size the three 'bots were in....)  :wacko:

Seriously, serious project!  :thumbsup: How good are the references you can get?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Shasper

Ok, anyone else thinkin it was going to be a UH-1?

Shas b)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Brian da Basher

"Silent Running" is one of my favorite movies! I don't know how you do it Glenn, but somehow you seem to always manage to build projects from my favorite flicks!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

The Rat

Cool project! Next you have to build one of those circular pool tables.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

UH-1?   Yep, that's what I was expecting and spent a little time looking for to see where it was in that box.    :blink: :blink: :blink:   Shows you what I'm oblivious to, eh?  LoL.

Daryl J.

Glenn

This is Arthur's Strutter from Dinotopia. It's scale is 1/16 and is made from MDF/fibreglass/plastic and the figure is a Dragon 'unterofficer' Russian front, from 'Cross of Iron'
It has a bit to go, rear foot pads, full tail, bits and bobs all over it, two more figures and it's nose cone. It hasn't been fun building it, but I've learned a lot. So far it's about 16" long and has been shelved for 3 months. I usually work on a 'project' like this for 6~8 weeks, and by then I want to do something else.
Glenn

Silent Running reference : Video Tape/ Record cover/ Cinaflex magazine photocopies.

Glenn

I'm back to my 'movie theme' again, this time with the Rocket Rail from "The Great Race" Modelled in 1/12th sc. made from fibreglass/ MDF/ balsa/ paper and plasticard. I started the project, 3 years ago, and this time has been shelved for 9 months.
Length: 14.5" (37cm)
Height : 5.5" (14cm)
Width 4.25" (11cm)
Reference : The movie on video tape and the original movie program, with part plans in the middle of the book.
Next one will actually be an aeroplane....promise!

Glenn

Welcome to my mind! This is a Comet 1/18th sc. balsa model of a P-51D. I've had her since the 1970's and from that time only built the inside. Ribs and stringers, nose and the gear behind the seat (radio gear) and around the 1990's skinned the rear fuselage up to the cockpit. December, I took it out and skinned the port side first, (this photo) and then went all the way.
The first balsa model I built, crashed and to think of all the time it took to build, only to see it in bits.....static is the 'way to go'!
I have an idea on how I'll finish her....but that could be years away.
Glenn

Glenn

Before I skinned the starboard side, I assembled the full cockpit and then skinned the other side.
Once skinned, bogged the joins, sanded until a smooth finish, and then gave the finished sections a resin coat. By the time the fuselage was finished, it had about 6 coats of resin and the finish is like plastic.
Glenn

Glenn

This is just to show you the size of this model. With a length of just over 21" and a span of 24" (and a bit) this is how far I got, before shelving it, 3 weeks ago. The lower of the wing has been skinned and it now has a complete intake.
Glenn

Glenn

If you remember the movie, "No Highway", then you'll know what this model is? Originally, I intended using a Viscount to construct the Reindeer around...but the more I looked at the movie, I realised that the Viscount was nothing like it.
Built from balsa dowl, and balsa wings, sanded and bogged then resined.....the tail is card, as are the tailplanes. I'd say the scale is 1/144 (around that?) and is about 5"long.
Glenn

Glenn

I know you guys arn't too interrested in Dinotopia but, to me it's opening the envelope!
To scratch a model, of something 'real', or 'unbuilt' is hard enough even with plans, but to make up plans, where you only have drawings, that's a different ballgame.
With Dinotopia, Jim's (James Gurney) art work is very detailed but.....one still has to see the finished model in ones mind, to see how it should look finished. This is Remora, a three person sub, designed along Victorian guidelines. It's construction consisted of the plans, drawn up to 1/16th sc. and the hull built from MDF and Plasticene, and glassed. This first shot was in it's basic construction...the hull halves joined together.
At present, it's been shelved with it's full cockpit.
Glenn

Glenn

By this stage, the hull has been bogged and sanded to the correct shape. The only section I didn't bog was the area above the keil section, this houses the windows, two forward, two aft with a solid section in the middle where the powerplant for the legs and claw housing will go.
Glenn

Weaver

Hey Glenn, I've got Dinotopia and I like it! It's remarkable how it polarises opinion though: some people totally react against it with a strength that puzzles me. Okay, it's a childrens book and so has any sharp corners firmly rounded off, but the art and the ideas are still good!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '