J5F-1 'Bronco'

Started by Glenn, December 25, 2003, 06:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

After the capture of a Nakajima Rufe, the USN was very interested in adapting an existing fighter into a sea plane. The British had made a couple of Spitfires on floats, so it was thought that a P-51D might work as well. Using the central float and struts idea from the Rufe, with outriggers on the wing tips, Edo designed and built the floats and supports for the project.
First flown in Oct. 1944, and tested on The Great Lakes, the Bronco soon proved popular with it's pilots and was put into service in early 1945, replacing the Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk.
Seen here at an undisclosed location somewhere in the South Pacific.
Photo: (USN cat# 976254/12)

Model        Academy 1/72 sc. P-51D
Floats        1/72 vacform set of floats, sorry, don't know the company
Struts        Evergreen
Colour scheme     USN tricolour 1943~54
Backdrop    calendar North Queensland 2004

Tophe

:wub: Wonderful, dear Lyn-Glenn, slightly different from TsrJoe's single-float Mustang posted 2 days ago somewhere else... Obviously float-P-51s do exist very much, both in Australia and Scotland, so the JMNs should admit it : this is very true, genuine... and so beautiful... Thanks !
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Radish

Oh dear me.....I do like this!
Everyone has daft/wonderful ideas, but to see it executed!!
Wow!!!
:party:  :ar:  :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

nev

lovely jubbly glenn  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

Yeah, sweet, Glenn !

Does make one winder why they never tried it !

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

I was wondering... why this code J5F ? After the J4F Widgeon ? For the US Navy, F was meaning Grumman (see the very famous F4F, F6F) or sometimes Fairchild (SBF Fairchild's Helldiver), should we add Edo, or was this a Grumman seaplane ?

elmayerle

QuoteI was wondering... why this code J5F ? After the J4F Widgeon ? For the US Navy, F was meaning Grumman (see the very famous F4F, F6F) or sometimes Fairchild (SBF Fairchild's Helldiver), should we add Edo, or was this a Grumman seaplane ?
Perhaps "JSJ" seemed somewhat dull?  Funny, actually, how North American got that designation from the US Navy.  It seems that an earlier incarnation of the company as "General Aviation" had picked up the remains of the Berliner-Joyce company as well as the US branch of Fokker.  As a result, the Navy just transferred the designation to NAA.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

Could you explain this JSJ, Evan ? I have never heard of a JS family in the US Navy. And that cannot be a mistyping for J5J, as there was no J4J, as far as I know - but what if...
I would vote for XJJ if that came from North-American...
If that bird came from Edo, it would be XJ2E (like the quite famous OSE, parallel to Vought XOS2U Kingfisher), no ? E is more often for Bellanca, Piper, Hiller, Platt-Read, Cessna, but not only. As there has been the Bellanca JE Pacemaker of 1929, this Edo Bronco would be the J2E.
Only Glenn-Lyn could decide, I think, having access to the very source (or dream...).
Well, no matter the name and classification, this was a beautiful bird... :wub:

Ollie

I once talked about a P-51D for the USN, called a F51J.

The B-25 was called a PBJ.

John Howling Mouse

oOOOO, that's one sharp-looking model----what mfg/scale, please?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ollie

Yes, this is very sweet!  We want to know and SEE more!!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Captain Canada

Yeah, that is sweet !

Don't worry Ollie...one of these days I'll finish my RCN SeaHorses !

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

I'll be ready then Toad!  In the meanwhile, I can check your drawing, hmmm!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Captain Canada

I masked them all up for the yellow tails, and got one coat on.........

Must....finish......started....kits........

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

:wub:  nice Mustangs...
I am just a little doubtful about the name F1J, I think the US Navy would have used FJ (like the Fury in JMN's World), with the naval F-86 then called F2J (like there have been Ryan FR then F2R, Boeing FB then F2B, Grumman FF then F2F etc). No ?
The FJ-5 would be marvelous anyway... :)
I hope Lyn will answer about the manufacturer : Grumman, or Edo, or North Am, or Commonwealth Australia ? :)