Whole collection of REAL What If's here

Started by John Howling Mouse, August 27, 2008, 07:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Very cool.  Many of these I have never seen and several I would not have believed could fly.

http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/UNITED%20STATES.htm
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

Delivers piping hot tea to the front line!

Always thought the B-10 looked like a Blackburn product

Now operating as a greenhouse in Newfoundland

The designer of this has my undying admiration

Several of those are very do-able, some have even been kitted.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

Thank you Mr Howling Mouse! Viewing those pics was like seeing old friends again.
  <_<
Brian da Basher

Captain Canada

Awesome stuff ! Definately a few aeros in there I've never seen before....what a treat when that happens !

:cheers: :party:

Thanks Baz !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Taiidantomcat

Amazing, lot of machines i had never seen before. That B-15 looks like a B-17 that couldn't lay off the donuts!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

B777LR

Wow, those are cool :wub: That ABRAMS Explorer looks like a dream :thumbsup:

Just a question about that single engined B-17 though. I know that there was a B-17 testbed with a nose mounted engine, but was it really flown with just a single engine, or is it a photoshop? How did they remove the engines and the engine mounts?

GTX

Quote from: B777LR on August 29, 2008, 09:53:32 PM
Wow, those are cool :wub: That ABRAMS Explorer looks like a dream :thumbsup:

Just a question about that single engined B-17 though. I know that there was a B-17 testbed with a nose mounted engine, but was it really flown with just a single engine, or is it a photoshop? How did they remove the engines and the engine mounts?

The single engine B-17 is a photoshop job - I have seen the original photo which still had the wing engines.

The pic of the Hughes D-2 is interesting.  If real, its the best photo I've ever seen of it.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on August 30, 2008, 12:20:41 PM

The pic of the Hughes D-2 is interesting.  If real, its the best photo I've ever seen of it.

Regards,

Greg

The same photo is on page 54 of "McDonnell Douglas Aircraft since 1920: Vol II", by Francillon, Putnam/Naval Institute Press, 1990.
The photo is real and correctly identified (and typically uncredited), unlike some of the other photos on the wacko Greyfalcon family of sites.  :blink:

Volume I deals with Douglas and Northrop products/projects, Volume II with McDonnell and Hughes products/projects.
The D-2 section has two photos and a 3-view.

I have a set of 1/48th drawings of the XF-11(freakin' huge!) that includes smaller scale arrangement drawings of the D-2.
The D-2was very much a vanity project for Hughes and was not suited as a military aircraft, a fact that did not stop Hughes from trying to push it on the Army.  :banghead:

Jon