When Alvis Inspires Me

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 24, 2003, 04:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

After seeing so many of Alvis' imagined concepts turned into reality, I thought I'd repay this fine lady at worker who is always buying cute little gifts for the rest of us.

So, I just finished this up and delivered it to her today as a fun Christmas gag-gift.  Even though our employer has a widely published emphasis on the whole "work/life balance" issue, in reality it's just not very often the case.
Since we are stuck on call, I made this "emergency" cell-phone box complete with instructions.

Is this suitable for ARC's "silly stuff" Alvis or not (since it's not really a model).

Well, it sort of is.

Anyhow, the recipient sure liked it!

;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

elmayerle

ROTFLMAO!!!  I *love* that!  I'm well familiar with the rest of the situation, too.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Alvis

*Sigh*...well, looks like the master has been superceded!
Most excellent, and qualifies for silly week as well.
Much, MUCH better presentation than the Ray Gun I did... :(

Alvis

nev

Excellent!

Will she be able to display in her office at work, or do your employers take a dim view of humour?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

QuoteWill she be able to display in her office at work, or do your employers take a dim view of humour?
Yeah, I was a bit worried that she might wonder about the politcal incorrectness of it (she's a "Coordinator" for the company no less and, therefore, must lead by example, etc. etc.) but she didn't miss a beat and picked out a spot on her office wall to hang this up!

I'm going to do a version along the same lines but using "Emergency Salesman Repellant" in the case  (I work in Purchasing).

And Alvis, I have a loooooooooooong way to go before I even reach the edge of your shadow!  In fact, I told Shawna (the recipient of this wacky gift) about you and your fantastic ideas and ability to bring them to life!

nev

As most of you know, I work in the pharmaceutical industry, which is the 2nd most regulated on the planet and a haven for every jobsworth and rivet-counting JMN on the face of Gods green Earth.

Anyways, several years ago one of the crazier lab techs we employ, being driven nuts by the latest GMP crack-down by the lab nazis made a spoof Chemical Reference Standard.  It was basically an unlabelled bottle with a reference std label on it that said "air ex 1998.  expires September 2000.  Do not open and contaminate with this years air".

We all got a pretty good laugh about it and it got stuck in our reference stds cupboard and forgotten about...........until the day the UK Medicines Control Authority came to audit us...........

"Can I see some of your reference stds please?" asked the bearded lady they sent to do the audit.  My mate obliges by randomly selecting a bottle which happened to be............you guessed it, the air reference std.  Now auditors are always trailed around site by an enterage of the mighty & powerful and when they saw what was on the bottle, well lets just say I thought my HOD was going to die if he didn't start breathing again  :lol:  :lol:

TBF, the auditor had a pretty good sense of humour and just asked for another one, but the managers weren't too impressed.  The Air standard ex 1998 is sadly no more.......  :(  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

QuoteWe all got a pretty good laugh about it and it got stuck in our reference stds cupboard and forgotten about...........until the day the UK Medicines Control Authority came to audit us...........

"Can I see some of your reference stds please?" asked the bearded lady they sent to do the audit. My mate obliges by randomly selecting a bottle which happened to be............you guessed it, the air reference std. Now auditors are always trailed around site by an enterage of the mighty & powerful and when they saw what was on the bottle, well lets just say I thought my HOD was going to die if he didn't start breathing again   

TBF, the auditor had a pretty good sense of humour and just asked for another one, but the managers weren't too impressed. The Air standard ex 1998 is sadly no more....... 

Ahhh the good old MCA!!!! I know them well..... :angry:  :angry:  :angry: The daft bastards didn't have a CLUE about mid range operations and infrastructure!. Some of the questions that we were asked had us gobsmacked. LOTS of patient explaining in words of 2 sylables or less finally got the situation resolved.

Nev, I'm sure that you've noticed that managers in the pharma industry are some of the most uptight straight laced aresholes in existance....I surely did during my tenure at my previous company....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Alvis

And Alvis, I have a loooooooooooong way to go before I even reach the edge of your shadow!  In fact, I told Shawna (the recipient of this wacky gift) about you and your fantastic ideas and ability to bring them to life!
Nah, I just rip them off from obscure sources, that's all. This was truly fantastic and far and above my ability and capability. Really.

nev

Like I said lance, the whole industry is a haven for every jobsworth & JMN on the face of the planet.  

Do you find fault with absolutely everyone and everything?  Then the pharmaceutical industry has a job for you!

John Howling Mouse

QuoteNah, I just rip them off from obscure sources, that's all. This was truly fantastic and far and above my ability and capability. Really.
Alvis,
My kid got one of those really BIG Kinder suprise eggs complete with a clear plastic sphere that hinges open into two, ribbed half-globes and the usual little
orange, two-part cylinder (but bigger).

I've got five a/c kits on the go but now, because of your heinous influence,  ;)
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I could turn the generic parts into...!

Have flipped my semi-circular lid!

:lol:

nev

Ahhh, but thats were the genius of Alvis comes in..........

Whereas us mere mortals have to *think* about what to make out of funny shaped objects, ingenious & bizarre ideas spew forth from his deranged mind with little apparent effort.