Changing Scale (aka Scale-O-Rama Group Build)

Started by cthulhu77, August 15, 2008, 08:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Thought it might be interesting to do 1/72nds as 1/48ths, or vice versa.  !/35th to 1/72nd?  It would make for some interesting concepts in every branch: armor, planes, and ships.
As far as rules go, perhaps just moving one scale off (or more) from the originally intended?

Hobbes

That's been done a few years ago as Scale-o-Rama.

B777LR

Super tanks and mini R/C sisters of the german Goliath?

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: cthulhu77 on August 15, 2008, 08:27:59 AM  Thought it might be interesting to do 1/72nds as 1/48ths, or vice versa.  !/35th to 1/72nd?  It would make for some interesting concepts in every branch: armor, planes, and ships.
As far as rules go, perhaps just moving one scale off (or more) from the originally intended?

Quote from: Hobbes on August 15, 2008, 09:07:46 AMThat's been done a few years ago as Scale-o-Rama.

The Scale-O-Rama group build helped create a useful term to describe changing the scale for your model.  I use this term on occasion when I am attempting to convey my idea through a written description of my intentions to modify a model based on changing the scale of the subject.   

There is nothing wrong with having another Scale-O-Rama Group Build.  Since the One Week Group Build was just revisited it could become an annual event and there is no reason to ignore popular group builds from the past if they garner participation and enthusiasm for the hobby. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

I've been fiddling with doing the 1/48th Eduard Roland C.II Walfisch as a 1/144th single-prop multi-engine bomber ala the Linke-Hoffman R.II.
In1/144th scale the Eduard kit is equivalent to an aircraft with a wingspan of 101 feet 8 inches.

Other 1/48th WWI subjects would be good for a similar Scale change and some of the 1/32nd scale kits would make good 1/72nd scale single-prop R-planes, although they could also be modified to shaft or chain-driven multi-props with a central engine plant.

Jon

cthulhu77

Quote from: Hobbes on August 15, 2008, 09:07:46 AM
That's been done a few years ago as Scale-o-Rama.

Ah, that was the term I was looking for !  Anywho, it seemed like a a fun idea.

philp

Ooh, I can modify a 1/25th scale car to 1/24th and put some guns on it to fit 2  GBs at the same time :wacko:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Brian da Basher

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 15, 2008, 02:38:36 PM
I've been fiddling with doing the 1/48th Eduard Roland C.II Walfisch as a 1/144th single-prop multi-engine bomber ala the Linke-Hoffman R.II.

<snip>

Jon

Hehehehehehe. He said "Linke-Hoffman".

Brian da Basher

The Rat

The Scale-O-Rama craze was in full swing when I joined this board many moons ago, and IMHO it was one of the most creative things I have ever seen. It's become a part of whiffing lore and should be regularly revisited!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

anthonyp

I think sometime in the next year, we should have a crazy 1-month Scale-O-Rama build-off.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man