Main Menu

Back from the Rock

Started by Captain Canada, August 13, 2008, 08:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

A few piccies for your perusal....

Couple of heavies at YYZ when we landed yesterday

A 737 glider....

On to St. John's...the usual suspects, again....

The fisheries birds. The grey one is so elusive it's not funny ! The damn thing has probably flown over my head 20 times in the past ten years, but I can never seem to get a good photo of it. It was cruising past my bro-in-laws place daily for awhile ( probably keeping and eye on 'bloaty' the beachec whale that was down the way ) but I was alwyas to late to get a pic....

Cougars S-92s

Spot the -92 ! This was pretty much the wetaher the whole two weeks....

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Of course there were always lots of ships around. A few of the interesting ones. Anything with a helo-deck has got to be cool, right ?

Lots of CCG action

Wilfred Templeman

Leonard J. Cowley

George R. Pearkes

Alfred Needler

Sir Wilfred Grenfell

And a Huey

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

The big cannons at Cape Spear

Hercs, Hercs, and more Hercs......this is just a couple of days worth.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

They have a really interesting display at the airport regarding the military history of Torbay

I think this is one of the coolest Hurricane pics ever....look at all that weather and oil stain....

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Got back to the car and the battery was dead, so took a few pics of planes landing. I love Dashers !

The best thing I saw the whole trip was this baby, tho......such a sexy aeroplane !

Say hello to my little friend.....

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dogsbody

Nice pics, Captain. Sometimes I miss that East Coast weather.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

The Rat

My #1 son left for St. Johns the same day you returned, but he only ever takes pics of his drunken parties. So where's yours?  ;D

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 13, 2008, 08:36:36 AM

My Tradewind in those colours is sloooooowly coming along, after some minor disasters.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

The East Coast wetaher was pure poo-poo (with an english accent) while we were there....1 day of sun !

As for drunken pics, I've got a few of other drunks, but since I mostly had the camera, none of me. We did have a few good parties, tho. George St. to see Celtic Connection and larry Foley, NFLD Folk Festival for Sons of Erin, Figgy Duff and Shanneyganock, a few fires, and at least one hangover that required emergency rations of Tylenol, Zantac, Pepto and Gravol !

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 13, 2008, 08:36:36 AM
A 737 glider....

That one got towed to the firepit a few weeks ago. I suspect they'll use it for evac training and such instead of burning it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Just call me Ray

Quote from: The Rat on October 08, 2008, 09:08:31 AM

That one got towed to the firepit a few weeks ago. I suspect they'll use it for evac training and such instead of burning it.

I think most airports stopped using real aircraft as live burn trainers ages ago, since a purpose-built steel mockup will last much, much longer.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

nev

That S-92 is quite chunky isn't it?  Like a wannabe Merlin.

Really nice stroke of lucj=k with the C-17 though!  Wonder what it was doing over there since they spend their lives ploughing back and forth to Derkaderkastan.  Maybe supporting the Tonkas at Cold Lake?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

Not sure, Nev...but it sure was a great sight ! Now I just need to see an Aussie bird, and I've got them all covered !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?