Light Assault Carrier (Sci-Fi)

Started by BlackOps, August 10, 2008, 05:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

OK, AD got me itchin' to go back to this build after seeing his current project then Slinger had to go and start a Sci-Fi project so I decided I'd better scratch that itch. This started with a used toner cartridge I snagged from work after thinking it's a perfect starting point for a Frigate or some such space fleet craft.

I added some 1/25 scale car rims to add some detail to the rear engines.

Then I brought home another cartridge with the intention of making a sister ship but combined them to creat a light assualt/support carrier instead.

Heare's a shot of the tail end.

Can't have a carrier without fighters so here's the first prototype.

A little size comparison.

I think this project is going to take a while, finding appropriate greeblies and such may take some searching but I've been wanting to get back to this.

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

LemonJello

Looks like a great start.  I've been mulling over a sci-fi build - Colonial Marines, Galactic Marine Corps, something along those lines.  Just really have to find a good base object to start off with.  That toner cartridge looks like an interesting beginning; lots of potential there.

Keep the updates coming.
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

SinUnNombre

Wow. I love it! What's that old saying about one man's trash? With the 3 great sci-fi kitbashes on here now, I'm defintely going to start my own. Great work so far, be sure to keep us posted.

Jon

P.S. What's that little fighter made from?

AeroplaneDriver

Wow, looks like we've got an unofficial Sci-Fi GB going on here!  :thumbsup:

That toner cartridge just screams to be a ship.  Love the carrier design, it has a very distinct 'Aliens' look to it to me.

:wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

cthulhu77

I just love projects like this...unbelievably way cool !  Wonderful concept, and coming along well.

John Howling Mouse

Whoooooa: this is coming along nicely.  These toner cartridges: how long are they?  Looks like an excellent forestock for a new version of the old Aliens pulse rifle.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on August 10, 2008, 07:48:22 PM
Whoooooa: this is coming along nicely.  These toner cartridges: how long are they?  Looks like an excellent forestock for a new version of the old Aliens pulse rifle.

Thanks guys, the cartridge is about 19" long. I have considered bringing home another one for just that purpose Barry! The cool thing is the flat panel even slides like a shotgun pump  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

AeroplaneDriver

The similarity to the Marines' pulse rifle prompted my comment too, since the Sulaco was based on the design of the rifle.  These things have lots of sci-fi potential.  Maybe this could be the USS John Glenn base platrform I mentioned in my original Mars Lander backstory?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

dragon

Actually, it looks closer to the carriers in Space: Above and Beyond :cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Brian da Basher

Toner cartridges??!!! Who'd'a thunk it???!!! Outstanding vision on this one Black Ops!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Beautiful idea . :wub: :thumbsup: This is going to be fun with all of us working sci-fi. Who else wants in?
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Gary

Oh what the hell, this is rounding out to be another group build.

Lemmee see what I have before I commit

Getting back into modeling

tanktastic43

Ed S

This is off to a great start.  Very imaginative use of "junk". 

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.