A new Falklands conflict? An ongoing project.

Started by Big Bird, August 10, 2008, 05:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Bird

An agreement between the Falkland Islands and  Argentina had set the terms for exploitation of offshore resources including large oil reserves, however, in 2007 Argentina unilaterally withdrew from the agreement. In response, Falklands Oil and Gas Limited has signed an agreement with BHP Billiton to investigate the potential exploitation of oil reserves.
In December 2008 larger than expected oil reserves were discovered. Immediately the Argentine Government claimed all deposits up to 200 miles from it's coast. This led to the British Government counterclaiming that all deposits up to 200 miles from the Falklands belonged to Britain. As the Falkland Islands are only 300 miles from the Argentinean coast this left the largest of the deposits in dispute. Seeing that the situation could very quickly deteriorate and another war ensue and suspecting that the islands will never see any monies from the discoveries. The Executive Council, advises the Governor that the islands were declaring independence from the UK and that the Chief Executive of the Council would act as president until elections could be held.
The British Government gambled and tried to influence the the Executive Council by withdrawing military support. Unmoved the newly formed Falkland Islands Government looked for arms and equipment to protect their assets. The British government not wishing to loose face by giving in to the Islanders, but also no wishing to loose any chance of getting it's hands on the oil covertly started making deals to aid the Islands government. It's first move was to secretly broker a deal between the the hard up Zimbabwean government to sell the Islands 6 Britt-Norman BN-2A Islanders and 12 BAE Hawks.
At the same time British companies made deals to convert the Islanders to Defenders and 3 of the Islanders to AEW/MR aircraft and to service and equip the Hawks with sidewinders and the ability to carry and fire the Sea Eagle anti shipping missile. The work was undertaken at Mount Pleasant Airfield. Rather coincidentally a number of RAF pilots and personnel left the service and a week later enrolled in the newly formed air arm of the FIDF Falkland Islands Defense Force.
With in nine weeks the first aircraft and personnel were undertaking training missions, ready to defend the oilfields.

A whole airforce can be spawned from this idea. So first up will be one of the BAE hawks equipped with a Sea Eagle antishipping missile. For this I'm using this kit, which was given to me by Bex (bexwh773). Someone has started it and lost the decals. No problem as I will need to source some special decals for it.

The Rat

Methinks some of the more determined folks here will be burning the midnight oil coming up with FIDF markings for you. And someone really ought to be tasked to build the Defenders!

Keep in mind that they might have to fight the Rayador;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

AeroplaneDriver

Great backstory!  I'll be watching this one with interest Bex.   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Big Bird

AeroplaneDriver

I jsut realised what I had typed, but was too late to edit without embarassment!!  Duh!!   :banghead: :lol:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Rafael

Again, this is stirring my interest :wub: :thumbsup:

Lots of things could come out from this scenario and build.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

Neato Mish. I have always liked that aircraft. Looking forward to seeing this progress.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Big Bird

Made a start on the Hawk today a basic kit this one is.

John Howling Mouse

Watching with great interest as this kit has been collecting dust on my shelf for years.  Please keep us updated with in-progress pics and your assessment of the kit.

The backstory is a clever concept, too.  So, which one of you hogs the most workbench space, anyhow?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Big Bird

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on August 11, 2008, 07:14:10 PM
....So, which one of you hogs the most workbench space, anyhow?
Sorry John
I don't understand

bexwh773

Quote from: Big Bird on August 11, 2008, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on August 11, 2008, 07:14:10 PM
....So, which one of you hogs the most workbench space, anyhow?
Sorry John
I don't understand

Its very simple Sis, but, alas I forgot you live in St Neots (Snots :lol:  )  What JHM is asking, is which one of us hogs the work bench as I dont think he realised that you live 200 miles away from Sunny Gatwick  :wacko:

I must say, your back story is very intriging and has a very wide scope for crazy ideas  :thumbsup:

Bex
Becky aka Bex

Big Bird

Ahh right, well it's only about 140 miles actually.
So different benches.  ;D

sotoolslinger

Hey Big Bird. I found that exact kit at my LHS yesterday. Still haven't decided how I will bastardize mine yet ;D But be assured it will be Texican :wacko:  Mine may also end up as a space ship :o :blink:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Martin H

Quote from: sotoolslinger on August 14, 2008, 10:07:48 AM
Hey Big Bird. I found that exact kit at my LHS yesterday. Still haven't decided how I will bastardize mine yet ;D But be assured it will be Texican :wacko:  Mine may also end up as a space ship :o :blink:

How about a USAF T-45, with out all the navy gear.   Could realy confuse joe public at any show lol
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Big Bird

A bit more on the Hawk today. Looks like I have myself a filler queen.