Not A WIF - but it is PINK!

Started by Leigh, August 08, 2008, 04:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh

Little vignette/diorama I did called "The Well"
Actually my first piece of 35th Armour, though I've done  a few of the Tamiya 48th ones and its the ancient Tamiya S.A.S. Land Rover. I don't know if I could find any fault with this kit, yes there's some seam line/pin clean up but it's a 30+ year old mold (mould?), and practically fell together in an afternoon. The Figures are Legend Productions and may be a bit off, dunno if the S.A.S. had beards and headresses in Aden in the late 60's. They were originally destined for a bigger piece I want to do but they are distinctly smaller than all my other 35th scale figures, even allowing for variations in human beings, they just don't look right mixed with others, but they seem to work on their own, and with the vehicle.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Leigh

The pink is the same mix as the S.A.S. used, red oxide primer mixed with white!

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

sotoolslinger

Well that is very cool. Can someone explain to a confused Texan why pink?
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Leigh

Smoke discharger chains from the finest ship model anchor chain I could find and boy they drove me batty trying to get them on. Stowage and goodies are various aftermarket and kit bits, tissue paper gun cover. The well is resin and I just made the plinth from durhams water putty. Base is railroading ballast.

Leigh's Models

Leigh

Pink because I'm a closet Tranny, and it was discovered that it's excellent camouflage in the desert. Alot of U.S. WWII planes such as Airacobras and Liberators in North Africa were painted a light tan colour which faded to pink and was found to be highly effective. The British have often used pink in the desert and Israeli tan really is just pink. As you can see the Land Rover blends in quite well with the base.

Leigh's Models

Leigh

AMS alert! Took a google earth pic of Aden, reduced it, printed and plonked on the front seat as a map. BTW Aden is really boring to look at from above.

Leigh's Models

Leigh

Leigh's Models

sotoolslinger

Thanks :thumbsup: I knew it was a widely used desert color . I just never had anyone explain it before ;D :wub:
Really cool dio :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Rafael

Nice to have you back, Leigh!!!!

And this is a very beautiful dio. The colors are vivid and at the same time masterfully blended in the whole. Excellent representation of a desert camo.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Jeffry Fontaine

Liegh,

What a wonderful looking Land Rover.  And never you mind about seams on a vehicle kit, they are there for a purpose, to represent the real seams as found on your bog standard 1/1 scale truck.  So if anyone gives you grief about a seam on your pink rover, you have my blessing to punch them where it matters the most, in the hand that is holding the butt-light.  :)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

AeroplaneDriver

Beautiful stuff Leigh!  My own forays into 1/35 have been limited to RW wheeled vehicles so far.  Seeing this makes me think that is not such a bad thing! 

:wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

cthulhu77

Really neat diorama !  There was a show on the military channel about land rovers, and I would almost swear that your dio looks like a still frame from the bit about the pink rovers...fantastic !  The figures are especially impressive, but the chains really make it.   :cheers:

lancer

Oh yeah!!! He's back. that is amazing Leigh, right up there with your other stuff. As I said earlier mate, it's damm good to see ya back.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

tinlail

Quote from: sotoolslinger on August 08, 2008, 05:15:21 PM
Thanks :thumbsup: I knew it was a widely used desert color . I just never had anyone explain it before ;D :wub:
Really cool dio :bow:

Or as a Texan, you drive up to Amarillo, and then turn left and drive to New Mexico. Lots of pink in the landscape. I bet it has something to do with the amount of iron oxide in the soil, but that is just a guess.