The Wing

Started by Glenn, December 21, 2003, 06:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

I know, strictly speaking, it didn't exist but.....as a movie prop, it was very successful. Being one of my favourite movies of the 1980's, it was a must for my collection, the only problem was, there was no model, and more to the problem, no plan. Using the movie video tape as a template, I worked out the shape and estimated the span to be at least 109 foot. The more I saw of the Wing sequence, the more detail I found, until I had enough to draw up a set of full plans.
With the plans, worked out the best size to build to, (1/35th) to a span of about 3 foot.
Construction...............The basic frame work.....Balsa
                                Filling in the gaps...........White Foam (used to make
                                                                    surfboards)
                                Cover...........................paper, as if making a flying
                                                                    model.
                                Control surfaces ............solid balsa
                                Bought parts..................Props/ machine guns
                                                                     crew and main wheels
                                turret and cockpit canopy...things found at supermarket
                                nose of canopy...............half dome with cross pieces.

The Negative Side
From the moment I saw the movie, I've loved this aircraft, but, if ever there was a prop, that wouldn't get off the ground, this would be it!
1.  With the pusher props, there are no prop guards, below to stop the props hitting the ground on take-off and landing.
2.  Why are there intakes under the engines facing the props, when the engine intakes are in the leading edge of the wing?
3.  The engines look too small to lift a 'thing' this size
4.   The turret platform only gives the gunner a small area in between the props, and the forward guns look big enough to sink the Big E! With them firing, the wing would go backwards!
5.   The Undercart! The oleo leg mountings are strong enough to support the Golden Gate Bridge.
6.   And last of all, when I watch the movie now, when the Wing sequence comes on, I can't watch it, as when I made the model it was 'watch, freeze, rewind, repeat, repeat, repeat!

Shasper

Super job dude! ;)

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Ollie

Excellent!  Vickers actually built the one used in the movie.  I always wondered what kind of engine they put in there, probably Gypsy Majors or Gypsy Queens!

Tophe

Found this in my twin-boom archives... Does that help ?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

elmayerle

Well, that confirms one thing I'd always suspected, that the N-1M had served as a definite inspiration to whoever designed that wing.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Alvis

Fan-flipping-tastic!!!!!!

Alvis ^_^  

Captain Canada

Awesome job, Glenn ! I fell in love with that a/c as well....but like you, don't believe it would fly. For one thing, it's got the thickest 'fuselage' I've ever seen !

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TsrJoe

Waw...that sure is one beautiful model...really impressive workmanship...nice one Glenn

:cheers:
joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

lancer

Awsome piece of modelling there Glenn. Very impressive. Talking of the flying wing, there was an article in a recent copy of Fine Scale Modelling - Yes I admit to buying that one - where  the toy version was re worked and updated to make it into a pretty decent model(about 48thish scale) of the plane. If anu one want I'll dig toe article out and scan it in and post it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Radish

In serious AWE!!!!
:zzz:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

Fantastic Glenn!  :wub:

You really, *really* need to submit this to Tom as an article.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Glenn

Nev,
  Actually, I built The Wing back around 1990, and had written up an article for a Sci-Fi mag called 'Sci-Fi Modeller, with photos and a full plan. I don't have the article at the moment, I'll see if I can get in touch with the bloke who does, and see if he can 'dig them up'.
Sorry for my ignorance, but Tom?
                                             Lyn

John Howling Mouse

QuoteNev,
  Actually, I built The Wing back around 1990, and had written up an article for a Sci-Fi mag called 'Sci-Fi Modeller, with photos and a full plan. I don't have the article at the moment, I'll see if I can get in touch with the bloke who does, and see if he can 'dig them up'.
Sorry for my ignorance, but Tom?
                                             Lyn
"Tom" as in "Supertom" the webmaster extraordinaire who makes all this possible.
We're all hoping you will provide some form of an article to Tom, who will post it on the home-page linked to this discussion board.

^_^  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.